Best GPS for CDT

imported

Bearcreek is correct that the eTrex 20 will hold only 2000 named waypoints. I stand corrected. Although I can load all 4 of the CDT state waypoint gpx files into the unit’s storage - and although the source document states that the unit will hold 2000 gpx file - the unit will only actually compile and render accessible the first 2000 waypoints (minus any waypoints already in storage), beginning alphabetically - in this case with the 1683-point Colorado file. Presumably it would then load the first 317 points in the Montana file, assuming no waypoints were already in storage.

Clearly it’s too bad the eTrex 20’s sizable built-in storage capacity isn’t matched by its ability to store a thru-hike’s worth of named waypoints at one time, or to retrieve more waypoint data from storage as needed. All of Bearcreek’s data can be put at once into the unit, but only a fraction of it can be utilized this way.

No need to shout, by the way. All caps is bad manners. Just sayin. Get a grip. And thanks for the data.

tron

Just before going to the CDT I was trying to give up swearing under my breath. Then I used Garmin GPS software.

Everything went to heck after that.

Datto

Datto

I am loading up for CDT 2014 and I’m closest to Bearcreek’s 12/18/2013 method#4, using an Oregon 600, plus I also load some user-created waypoints for key stopping places, ends of Wolf sections etc. I added waypoints for GNP campsites and CDT Post Office locations…all on the microSD card.

And then I created a 2nd microSD card with the same thing, that I’ll carry in a safe place away from the GPS. The point is (1) it is easy to lose a microSD card, such as when you change batteries, and (2) it is probably easy to lose and maybe to break a Garmin GPS. A replacement GPS is good as new with the 2nd microSD.

My camera has all the GPS functionality of my 2008 Garmin eTrex (display of lat / long, period), which can be pretty useful, so I’ll also carry a printout of the Bearcreek POIs in case I need to navigate from point to point using my camera GPS.

Finally…I have a compass and maps, although my skill with maps is just about zero.

Mike