Whaat to do if lost

imported

Cool, cool. Acronyms are as follows:

SPOT: I have no idea what it stands for. It’s a little pda that works in the back country and has a “send helicopter” button linked to its GPS location.

Wag Bag: A bag that you poop in when you cannot dig a cathole.

SOBO: Southbound (usually for a thru hike). not to be confused with NOBO.

CDT: You are correct.

Also, I have never ever met a hiker that was attempting their first thru hike and they had done “enough” prep hikes. The more time you get outdoors with your gear, the more practical applications, problem solving, and systems that you will have in place. Do tons of section hikes if you can. However, even if you’re not 100% ready, that’s okay.

On the CDT, my trailname was Fandago. My journal was:

That should give you tons of info on Wyoming. It’s all pretty accurate, if not a tad sarcastic. If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to email me. Have a blast! Happy Trails!!!

space monkey

Another consideration, if you think that section hiking the CDT in Wyoming will prepare you for navigation issues that you will have on an AT thruhike, you probably are mistaken. You are reversing the challenges. My experiences were that the CDT had way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way more “staying found” challenges that the AT did. The AT was like navigating Interstate 80. The CDT was true wilderness, no roads, no cell service, cross country bushwacking sections, etc. If you can stay found in the state of Wyoming, you should have zero issues on the AT corridor.

Prep-hikes are still very important, but I may have misled you in thinking that CDT navigation is anything like AT navigator. Sorry. Good luck!

space monkey

Thanks for all the help. I put your website in the Favorites section so I can refer to it occasionally. Driving over the CDT trail on the interstate it’s hard to imagine getting lost because there’s no trees, not for 100 miles in any direction. :slight_smile:

kpo

kevin

No doubt about it same thing happened to me hiking. Just looking around enjoying the view not paying attention to the trail sat down to have lunch after I was finished I got back up and I’ll be darned if I didn’t backtrack an hour until I Came Upon A shelter that I had passed before I realized I went the wrong way all cuz I was daydreaming and not paying attention to the trail. Only happened once, but I definitely understand how it can happen. And mapping and compass is a strong point. I didn’t even realize I was going the wrong direction. It was cloudy drizzly couldn’t even see the sun so didn’t recognize it was on the wrong side of me . I never get lost, well almost never. That’s what happens when you don’t pay attention.