2015 Mapbook changes

imported

We’ve been getting quite a few inquiries from prospective 2015 hikers about next season’s mapbooks. Here is the scoop:

New Mexico – A new book will be printed for 2015. There are new developments in the Carson forest. Possibly some in the Silver City area as well, but that construction may not be finished this year. We have already made one trip down to NM and are going again in late September. I would advise waiting until this winter and getting the new book. The new edition should be ready sometime in November.

Colorado – no changes.

Wyoming – no changes.

Montana/Idaho – no changes now, but….
There is a fair amount of new trail being constructed in vicinity of Butte, but it won’t be ready until spring. We had hoped it would be finished by now, but it is not. The USFS has suggested that we come up to do the survey early next summer. Our plan is to go up in late June, gather the data, then publish the changed maps and waypoints which we will immediately make available for hikers to download and use. This should work fine for NOBO hikers, who generally don’t make it up there until late summer but it might be a close call for SOBO hikers who get an early start.

bearcreek

Montana Segment 2 has changed between mile points 2.0 and 9.0. Since we are not going to publish a new MT mapbook until early next summer, I have provided replacement maps online. To download the new maps, go to www.bearcreeksurvey.com and take the Map Updates link. Use these instead of Mapbook maps 7 and 8.

If you are wondering what the Bearcreek maps look like, here is a chance to see a sample without incurring any cost.

A few waypoints have also changed, but if you have already set up your gps for Montana, I would suggest not worrying too much about that right now. The new trail is reported to be easy to follow. Just remember that it leaves the old route at Mile 2.0 and rejoins it at Mile 9.0.

The new waypoint file has been added to the zip file on the website. It is called MT2014New.gpx Use it instead of MT2014B.gpx

best wishes,

Jerry Brown

bearcreek