2P vs. 3P tent for two hikers?

Planning a section hike on the AT - 2 hikers for 7-10 days. Looking for advice on using a lighter 2P tent vs. a more roomy thought slightly heavier 3P tent. Would appreciate any input!

I would be fine sharing my two person tent with my wife. With anyone else, I’d want a 3 person tent. I suggest looking at the actual dimensions of the tents you are considering (even better climb inside one that is set up), but, as a rule, unless you are both small and/or like physical contact with each other - a 2 person tent is likely to feel cramped over a week or longer.

Thank you! We’d like to still be friends at the end of the hike … so maybe the 3P is a better option :smile:

It really depends on your hiking style. If you want to log miles - to the point that you will both be tired and fall asleep quickly – tent size doesn’t matter. If you prefer taking the time to relax around camp, the larger tent might make for a more peaceful trek.

Advice for first time backpackers

Thank you! Very good perspectice.

If there are two of you, I highly recommend a 3P tent. One of the most popular: Big Agnes Copper Spur 3P. That is what the married couple (AT 2017) Jen and Greg (excellent vloggers BTW—Appalachian Trail Tales) ugood thing with two hikers? Split the weight of the tent! Good luck!

Also take in to consideration if there is any type of vestibule. That can make a smaller tent feel much roomier without a lot of additional weight. We’ve taken our 2 person Nemo (I forget if it is the Losi or the Galaxy) on 10-14 day trips. Having two doors also make it much more livable. (We also push the “3 season” designation of this tent).

Thank you … we’ve purchased the Copper Spur 3P.

Thank you … and based on that picture - you are a much heartier soul than I!!