3-day hike Appalachian Trail

Hello! I’m new to hiking and want to do a 3 day hike from the AT in Massachusetts. I was planning at driving to a location and taking a cab/uber to a further location, from which I would hike back to my car from. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hello Christopher. First, familiarize yourself with the “Ten Essentials” of hiking. You should do several day hikes first. Make sure you test all your gear and have your hiking footwear well broken in. Check with others that have already traveled your 3 day route and make sure it is within your physical capacity in that time frame. Always have a backup (bailout) plan and make sure you leave your travel plans with someone. Lastly, check in with the local park rangers with your itinerary.

Drive to Dalton then hike North on the AT to North Adams then take the city bus to Pittsfield then hitch or taxi back to Dalton. It’s the best of the State.

Depending on how many miles you want to do in a day, you might be able to turn this 33-mile loop into a 2 1/2 - 3 day hike. 17.6 miles of it are along the AT. It’s not exactly the best of what Mass has to offer but it’s a fun hike and worked for me because I didn’t feel like dealing with transportation back to my car.

https://caltopo.com/m/QMHU