63 y/o Preparations for my SOBO start date 06/20/18

Hi, I am Bob from the Buchanan area of Virginia (one mile off trail).
I am in training and have been for three months (over 400 miles). I started with a day pack and water bottles and now have all my gear for the thru-hike (33 Lbs. with 5 days food and a day+ water). I always hike with full pack and practice with all the equipment while on trail. At home, I like to empty my pack at the end of the day and repack the next morning. I want to be use to doing all these things before I head to Maine.
Now I am working on elevation gain and have taken my training somewhat off the AT. I have started hiking the Spec Mine Trail for over 1500 gain in elevation. It is a 8 mile hike. I am planning to move to hiking The Priest Mountain an/or Three Ridges Mountain a little north of here. I want to know that my first day on my thru-hike will be a success.
Up to this point, I have been doing 5 mile to 17 mile round trip (out and back) hikes. I have been practicing tent set up, food preparation, clothing adjustments, using hiking poles, backpack strap adjustments, backpack loading, locating water sources, enjoying my surroundings and a lot of situational awareness!
I plan to attend a back country first aid course before my thru hike.
Things that I am finding is that my clothing list is taking change. I am going with a lot of merino wool clothing and have had to reorder much of it already as the size changes after the first wash. I also have from day one, wore two pair of socks. I have found that Smart Wool liners with Darn Tough Socks is a winning combo. Also, in the interest of finding close fitting clothing, I have found that most women’s clothing options are by far better at being close fitting and lighter than anything I can find in the same type men’s clothing. So I guess that I may now to be known as a cross dressing hiker! When I look at pictures of AT thru-hikers of the 70’s, I can see that the men wore clothing that looks just like my 2018 women’s gear. So how ever you take that, think about how clothing restricts movement, such as how short shorts vs over the knee shorts freedom of movement.
I love all the gear that is available and love to talk gear on the trail. Being new at all of this I have made some giant strides and I want to talk with others about all these things.
I don’t know for sure how I ended up here, but I sure do love it and can’t see life with out backpacking!

Happy Hiking!

1 Like

Based on what has been said about hikers themselves changing sizes during the hike, you may want to hang on to those first sets of stuff (assuming they got smaller after washing) and change them out when you pass through your area, as by then they might fit better than what you start with…

I know when I tried a Thru-Hike in 2015, I started at Springer Mountain weighing over 200 pounds and by the time I got to Pearisburg, VA., I weighed 175 and was eating like crazy, so like BillyGr said, your shrunken clothes might fit perfect when you get to Buchanan.

Three months ago I weighed 40 more than I do now. I know that a little more weight will drop off me when I am a few week into my thru-hike. That is still about 4 months away, so I am doing what I call maintenance training. In my maintenance training I am only hiking around 8 miles per day, and while at it, I am going for the biggest elevation changes that I can find. In my 8 mile day/hikes, I look for at least a couple of miles that really kick my butt. I find myself becoming stronger all the time and have also put 5 pounds back on myself over the last couple of weeks.
My biggest worry in further weight loss is that I will not be able to adjust my pack’s hip belt down to a good fit.
One thing for sure is that dialing in your gear never ends.

I was able to swap out my hip belt for a smaller one at “Trail Days” in 2015. I was then using a Granite Gear pack and luckily they were there doing repairs and promoting new products.

Funny, I went to the men’s department to buy my socks and rain wear because it was cheaper and the selection was better. I started with a 33lb pack and that was undoable more than a few days. Now I keep my pack weight food, water and all under 20lbs. At 15lbs I do not even notice the weight and actually forget I have the pack on. I used the Grayson Highlands area for my training.

Hi there! My name is Kwai and I’m leaving Mt. Katahdin on June 28, 2018…but sounds like I’ll never catch you :slight_smile: You are preparing so well and I’m sure you are going to have the hike of your life! Take care, and if I learn to fly I’ll see you down the trail.