Advice on Pack Size for 5 Day Hike

As the title starts, i’m looking for advice on the proper size pack to get for my hike next year.
I have plans to do a 28 mile hike over 5 days, 4 nights on Four Loop Pass outside Aspen (I know this hike can be done in 2 days but I want to enjoy the beauty and we are also not completely conditioned to that altitude and don’t want to over work ourselves.) I will be with my girlfriend and our dog. Our dog is experienced with hiking long distances but i’m concerned about the extra space I need for food (we found a REALLY good freeze dried dog food that will save volume and weight) and water for him. He is a 68lb Weimaraner and has plenty of energy and stamina.
We will be hiking this trail in late August, early September.
I know water is not hard to find there, unlike here in Texas where I usually have to carry around a gallon and a half per day for me and my dog.
I know this is a hard topic to give advice on as it is all relative to what kind of gear we have and what not. But the current gear I have fit in a 45L pack on a 2 day trip and I had to carry in all my water (totally 3 gallons.) This, however, was a solo hike so adding 2 more nights and supplies for my dog make me not sure.
My girl friend has the Zulu 55L and will be carrying all here gear. We are still sourcing out a nice lightweight 2 person tent and sleeping bag for her. The tent we might split between us if it helps.
We will also need bear canisters, something i’m not really familiar with.

Ok so my first thought was a 65L. I purchased the Baltoro 65L but ended up getting a large that was a bit too big for my back. I also talked with a employee at REI whom make me second guess my choose of a 65L. So i’m still wondering if a 65L will work, or would a 70L or 75L work better?
I know its always better to have extra space than run out of space but i also want to pack right and buy more than I really need.
Chooses on my mind are:
Gregory Baltoro 65L (Med)
Gregory Baltoro 75L (Med)
Osprey Aether 70L (Med)

Thank you all in advance,

Shawn Huetter

This does not directly answer your question but here are a couple of thoughts to lighten the load, would your dog be willing to wear a harness pack and carry some of the weight? The rule of thumb is a healthy dog can safely carry 25% of their body weight (assuming you have trained them by gradually increasing the load and they don’t have an injuries).

Just one of the larger bear canisters should work for a short trip like this unless the dog food does not fit (I don’t think they are required around Aspen so you could also use a scent-proof bag like Loksak for the extra food items - there are lots of those odor-proof sack options on Amazon).

August/Sept is usually drier so you could get away with a tarp unless you need the tent to contain the pup, a tarp would be a lot less weight.

Have you checked Andrew Skurka’s gear lists and recommendations? Super helpful information: https://andrewskurka.com/section/gear-lists/ - I usually adjust for the reality of my trips since he often goes for higher altitude (e.g. I have never needed an ice pick) and longer hikes. Here is another link: https://andrewskurka.com/2010/gear-lists-past-trips/ .

Would you mind posting the name of the dog food- thanks!

2 Likes

I hiked 120 miles of The Colorado Trail near there last August. Here are my suggestions:

1. Go with the Osprey Aether. I have this pack at 70L. Well built & lifetime warranty.
    For your trip-,Keep total pack weight less than 35lbs.
  2. Contact the District Park Ranger about bear canister, if not required, take a bear bag instead. It’s lighter & easier to hang.
  3. Get a Nemo Dagger2 tent. Great 2P tent at good price. Split the carry weight between 2 hikers.
    4.Get a Platypus Filtration System. There are plenty of streams there and this system will give you large quantity of clean water the quickest.
    5.Take water bladders for your packs. I use the Osprey ones
  4. You could always get a ultralight pack to save weight, but for a short trip & planning on taking your time, you can afford to carry a little more weight and enjoy the creature comforts.

I would go with the Baltoro 65 for a 5 day trip. Anything larger encourages you to increase the load. Your back needs limits even with 5 or 6 mile days. No bear canister unless they require it and you can make do with 1 of the larger ones for the 2 of you. Bears tend to shy away from dogs.

1 Like

Not a direct answer to your pack needs but I would get your dog a pack. My dog always carried his food and bowl, and sometimes my wading shoes. He adapted to it right away. Not one complaint, because he loved hiking!

1 Like

Make sure your required bear cannister fits. Remember your dogs food will also have to be in a bear cannister. I would look at the ULA catalyst, Known to accept the larger bear cannisters. I would be thinking a three person tent. Room for the two of you and a wet dog.

Absolutely, I couldn’t agree more. Getting a larger one would only mean adding more to the workload.