ALDHA GAtherings...worth it?

imported

Hi Ho All, I was wondering what any of you thought of the ALDHA GAtherings, specifically the West? I have thru-hiked all three trails, yet I’m of no desire to ask for an award, but since it will be held near where I live (Mt.Hood) I thought it may be worth attending. I just love hiking, I dont need recognition for it, that just doesnt feel right, an award for hiking?. Anyway, I know of one person who attended it a few years ago and he said its made up of mostly “has beens”, “wannabes” and super achievers talking about how fast they hike and the like. I thought his words were a little harsh. Yet I must say, I’m not interested in hearing about how fast Scott Williamson or Andy Skurka did their latest hike. Is that what the gathering is centered on? If so, why has long distance backpacking become such an achieving oriented and competitive activity? I thought we all headed to the wilderness to escape that mindset and leave it in the cities. Should I save my $100? Let me know, cuz the gathering is in 2 weeks. Thanks!

Peace Turbin

I’m in the same boat. Never been to one, and got my TC last year. I’m in Portland for the fall, and decided to just go for one day, drop $40 and see what it’s like. I’m even going to ride my bike out there if the weather’s not dangerous. I also really want to meet Scott and Andy. I’m not much to join organizations either, but if I like what they’re doing, I’ll join and support them. (I joined the Arizona Trail Assn last winter when I lived in AZ because I met a trail crew when I was out hiking and was really impressed with them and got on every crew I could while I lived there.)

Maybe I’ll see you there.

Garlic

I’ve been to a bunch of ALDHA-west gatherings… I guess the fact that I’ve gone to a bunch means I figure they’re “worth it”, eh? it really depends on what you’re looking for, and what your financial situation is, I guess. The main reason for going (I think), is just to hang out with a bunch of like-minded people, outside an actual thru-hike… and the presentations can be fun & entertaining sometimes. The money is just to pay for the food & venue - nothing’s free unfortunately. This year, I have some personal conflicts, so might not make it… but would go otherwise.
My only regret wrt/ the gatherings is that they make me want to go out hiking somewhere, and instead, I’m milling around talking about hiking, and sitting on my butt. But, I guess, that’s just how it goes, eh? can’t do everything at once :slight_smile:

Jonathan

I’m not sure I’d pay to attend a hiker gathering…but then again I’m cheap!:smiley:

Even if you choose so, a Franklin is pretty steep, no?

Tim

Unfortunately we live in a culture that seems to be obsessed with extreme everything…Not to take anything away from Scott or the other speed hikers but speed hikers make up only a tiny fraction of the total hiker population. In fact, I hesitate to even include them in the hiker category. What they do has very little bearing on the hiking community at large. I guess what these folks do is provide a kind of entertainment or water-cooler factor to hiking. I have no problem with them going for their records I just kind of shrug. To me its like having a speed kitting contest or a speed meditation record.

Stryker

Peace Turbin - you have made some excellent points.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if eventually there is a Thru-hiking Hall of Fame… Maybe R. jardine, Wingfoot, and Yogi would decide on who gets inducted & ‘immortalized’ each year. Human vanity never ceases to amaze me.

As far as the ALDHA gathering is concerned - never been to that one, but I have been to the ADZ PCT Kickoff party & had a great time… and its free.

freebird

As for “extreme” hikers, I think there will always be an interest in things that are pushing the envelope. It’s like… the best art isn’t that which looks like all other art - it’s the work that’s bold that’s most interesting. So, if you’re going to see a hiking presentation, better be of something different/unique/interesting… Last year’s ALDHA-west presentation from the couple who hiked & paddled from Seattle to Alaska - over the winter - was absolutely fascinating.

Also, the ADZPCTKO isn’t really “free”. It’s funded partially by people who’ve hiked previously. It’s funded by donations. It’s run by volunteers (as is ALDHA-west). Someone is paying - even if it’s not you. But, it’s not “free”.

Jonathan

Attending one gathering, I’d say ALDHA gatherings in general are for those in need of recognition for what they have achieved. I agree, it does seem silly to seek an award for hiking. I suppose given our culture even “down to earth” hikers are caught up with the “achievement mentality”. I must say though after reading Jardines book before I walked the PCT, I’m surprise to learn he started the ALDHA-west chapter and coined the term “Triple Crown”. Given his opposing philosophy of the “rigid citified way of thinking”, I would have never guessed he was all about achieving when it came to long distance hiking. His writings made him out to be some humble Buddha, which later I learned he sure aint. On the positive note, I’ve noticed since Yogi has gotten her TC award much more have followed. I dont know if that is due to her redefining on how to do the CDT in a more liberal approach or if people are just more prepared than in the past.

Poppy Girl

I’d say to the last post its a combination of both. Yogi’s CDT hike was much more in the lines of a Unitarian Church approach(if it feel good do it), while most people intend a more Catholic or pure approach to completing the CDT. That aside, I wouldnt attend an ALDHA gathering mostly because I really dont care how or what others did in a hike. Most backpackers really couldnt give a flying f… about how fast Scott Skurka or anyone did the trail he/she blazed through for public attention. Just get out there and enjoy the great lands this wonderful country offers and forget about the needy social attention seekers.

Himmler Hikes

I have to say it may be worth hearing Scott talk. I must also say even though he is a very nice person dont be fooled by his kindness. Hes very competitive and thrives on how others react in how fast he hikes and how they see him twice as he yo-yos the PCT. I dont think he’d be out on the PCT every year if everyone ignored him or didnt express amazement towards his achievements thereby feeding his ego. Scott is a refined PCT master that knows the trail better than anyone.

CurlyFairy

I think aldha has potential if they stressed that people just get out there and enjoy a long distance hike. Instead it seems they focus on achieving a triple crown or a faster hike. Until they revise their way of marketing their organization i wont participate.:slight_smile: I mean really… 99% of all thru-hikers who’ve triple crowned probably dont know how to identify 2 non-berry edible plants or build a fire without matches/modern flammables, so lets get real. Is long distance hiking in general really an accomplishment outside of walking alot of miles?

TomThumb

I haven’t been to an ALDHA-West Gathering since our PCT hike in 2000, but I’ve been to about 14 ALDHA Gatherings in the East. They are different organizations and really shouldn’t be confused. ALDHA’s goal is education - as well as the social aspects of getting together with other people who love the same kind of lifestyle. ALDHA has dozens of terrific workshops and slideshows - allowing people to learn about places and trails that they might want to hike someday. Looking at the schedule for this year, a lot of information is being shared about trails in places like South America, Europe, etc. as well as the more common AT, LT, CDT and PCT. I always enjoy learning about places I’ve never been from people who have first hand experience. If you are also interested, then you might enjoy attending.

I’ve seen none of the competitive nonsense that some of you are complaining about at any of the Gatherings I’ve attended. Are people proud of their hikes - of course - but mostly they are eager to share their love of the trails with people who might, possibly, understand.

Mostly, the Gatherings are a chance to see old friends, and make new ones with other people who enjoy the long distance hiking lifestyle. There are few people who really get it, but the Gatherings are an opportunity to meet a few who do.

Ginny

Wish I could go to exchange trail stories, meet like minded people which are less than 1% of the population (I suspect) in the distance hiking community. You might even meet your life-mate, or at least a companion for an upcoming long hike, & what’s not worth the price about that? On the trail, you often meet peops going the opposite direction & don’t have time for a powwow or a rainbow gathering. Happy chairs to you that can get away!
gingerbreadcookie

gingerbreadman

Well, I made it and it wasn’t bad. I showed up Saturday morning and left Sunday morning. Good presentations, panel discussions, and fun “hiker Olympics” (good for some laughs). I met a couple of personal heroes and some old friends, even one from Arizona and one from Florida! The food and lodging were barely worth the $40 I paid the resort for the one night and two meals, but taken along with the great company, definitely worth it overall.

Scott didn’t make it, but Andy Skurka gave two presentations that I really enjoyed. The Triple Crown ceremony was short, since only two people showed up for their awards (so not everyone hikes for the recognition, after all).

I don’t think I’d go again if it entailed cross-country travel (unless I could get in a great hike nearby), but it was a great way to spend a day close to home. If there’s a next time, I’d just go for a day and skip the overnight.

Speaking of great hikes, I hiked the Wonderland Trail a few days before the gathering. Now, THAT was worth it!

Garlic

Wow. I’m really surprised by all of you that are saying that the ALDHA-West gatherings are about speed hiking and being recognized. I don’t get that impression AT ALL.

First of all, I am not a thru hiker or a long distance hiker… I am a section hiker. This was my second Gathering (and not my last by any means) and I have been welcomed with more than open arms into the community. Everyone was/is very approachable and I’ve found the gatherings a great way to get information about gear, trails and trail gossip (hey, did XXX finish yet…? How’s XXX’s leg doing…? etc)

NO ONE is/was chest beating at the event. I found Andy Skurka to be one of the nicest, humblist hikers I’ve ever met. I was bummed not to have been able to meet Scott. I didn’t hear a single person bragging about how fast they hiked… In fact, quite the contrary. I heard a lot of talk about slowing down and taking alternate routes. HYOH.

The gatherings are about exchanging ideas, sharing stories and just general commradery. It is NICE to be recognized. Hiking that many miles (the Triple Crown) IS a huge life acheivement. If you don’t want the award, or the recognition, that’s fine too. I like the gathering b/c it renews WHY I do what I do…

As for the ADZ being free? Try talking to some of the organizers. Far from free! Don’t be a mooch.

I’ll step off my soap box now… :slight_smile:
~Dicentra

Dicentra

Dicentra - You don’t really have to read between the lines to see that this thread is not an attack on ALDHA-West, but rather a group of hikers lamenting the fact that thru-hiking, in general, has become more and more like a sport rather than an opportunity to get away from the competitive rat-races of society: a time for true recreation (as in re-creation) in the wilderness.?
If you browse through the ALDHA-west website, its obvious that one of the primary focuses of the organization is on the ‘triple crown’ - a term coined by ALDHA west’s founder Ray Jardine (who, BTW, bestowed himself and his wife with the first TC awards). Unfortunately, many hikers now look at long-distance backpacking as an ‘eco-challenge’ type of activity - hike the three most famous National Scenic Trails and get recognized on an obscure hiker website, along with a small wood plaque (which you have to pay for if you don’t attend the awards ceremony in person).

The speed records, yo-yo attempts & other publicity stunt hikes along with the ‘triple crown’ awards etc. may in fact draw more attention to the trails with all the benefits of publicity - but they certainly don’t promote the original intention of the visionaries who created & built the trails.

On a different note, having been accused as a mooch… I’ll pose a simple question for you: If someone throws a party for you, are you expected to pick up the tab? In ‘05 I attended the PCT Kickoff party as a thru-hiker. Since all of the campsites were taken, I ended up camping about 1/2 mile away on the PCT. The two meals that I ate were graciously provided by alumni PCT hikers who wouldn’t accept donations for their gift. I ended up ‘pitching in’ by volunteering to help with other activities, including giving the snow report since I was the furthest north on the Trail at that point. I have made generous donations to many trail angels over the years on both the AT & PCT, including the largest donation ever @ Rusty’s Hard Time Hollow (four figures). The PCT Kickoff is a party thrown in honor of the current year’s hikers and they are not expected nor asked to pick up the tab.

Happy Trails!

freebird

Could simply thru-hiking any of the big 3 be considered “stunt hiking”, none of them were established to be hiked that way?

Neuro-Hiker

Good point - surely thru-hiking or section hiking could be considered ‘stunt hiking’ to the extent that the primary goal is completing a difficult task or ‘bagging’ a trail like bagging a peak. A hiker ultimately reaps what he/she sows - whether it is a party train from town to town or seeking solace & inspiration in the what’s left of our dwindling wilderness.

freebird

The fact an organization like ALDHA exists only denigrates the long distance experience. Theres far too many people with strong legs and the desire to achieve than actually enjoy and experience the very trail they blow through to announce “I’m a thru-hiker!” I say shun ALDHA and just get out there.

true hiker

I say if you are the type that likes attention and wants to tell the world you walked from Mexico to Canada a few times then hook up with ALDHA. You’ll find many like minded people.

Diversity Dawg