Anyone know about Lightweight Solar chargers for iPod Nano?

imported

Hello hiker world, need some solar charging advice. I’m very curious about trying one for my iPod-Nike+ function to track my mileage. Anyone have experienced info for this solar virgin? Anyone know if an iPod can store two-months of mileage WITHOUT a download? (too bad Apple doesn’t make a waterproof version, water does seem to find a way to attack electronics) may just stay with my AAA powered Highgear MP3. Thanks ahead of time.

Postcard

I don’t know about storage capacity of the newer ipod nanos. Mine is a 1st generation antique. I did look into solar chargers for a JMT trip. After reading a number of negative reviews regarding them I purchased a turbo charger http://www.adrenalinetechnologies.com/ which uses two AA batteries and recharged my nano at least four times using lithium batteries. I only needed 2 charges during the trip using the nano to listen to recorded books at night.

Don

Our son gave us a “Free Loader” solar charger for Christmas. Sorry haven’t used it yet so can’t give you any info, but it charges everything. Weighs 4 oz

Janet

I bought a Solio solar charger to take along on last summer’s hike, thinking that I could use it to keep my iPhone charged up. It’s very lightweight, but I don’t recommend it, due to the fact that so much of the trail is in the shade. You simply don’t get enough direct sunlight during the day (with the charger hooked to the top of your pack) to get any useful charge. I now have a Kensington mini battery pack backup that only weighs a couple of ounces, and it will provide one full charge whenever the primary battery is exhausted.

Jerryatric