Bear bags, cell service

imported

I am planning on bringing a bear bag on my long trail thru hike this summer. I know some people don’t think bear bags are necessary in Vermont, and would like to hear what people have to say. I’m also wondering about cell service along the trail, especially verizon.

Vermontah

Personally, I did not use a bear bag for either of my LT hikes. I understand that there was a problem bear at Seth Warner in 2009, so I did use the bear box that was installed at the shelter. But, other than that, I just used the mouse hangers inside the shelters.

I used a Tracfone in Vermont which hooks into Verizon’s CDMA network. I had good, but intermittent service. The mountain tops are good places to try your phone, as are road crossings. But, it’s spotty. As an example, I had service on Glastenbury, but not on Mt Horrid. On most days the phone would work at some point during the day. Up north, the service got poorer. Overall, I’d say that Verizon worked pretty well.

Loup

Vermontah,
You might find yourself more connected to the environment and yourself on your hike if you left both the cell phone and bear bag at home. Just ponder on all the hikers who have walked on the same path over the years who have managed just fine without these pieces of equipment.
Enjoy your trip.

Stealhblew

I only hiked from canada to the Montpelier-Burlington highway, but every night was a cabin/shelter where you hang your food from a “mouse rope” or something inside…during busy summer months (july-august) you need to get to some cabins/shelters early, or you will be sleeping under the stars if you don’t have a tent…especially on weekend nites! I thought the lodges would be some luxury accomodation, but they were not much different from the other cabins, except a small fee may be required & the caretaker sometimes offers to share their leftover dinner with you! Parts of the LT are more strenuous than the average groomed trail, so you may have to dial back your expected mileage by a third or a half !!!

inchworm plumber

I saw no one carry a bear bag last year. I used the bear box at Seth Warner though. Mostly because it was there.
I’ve seen a bear only once on the trail in 10 years but they are definitely there.

Rabbit Beard