Bear bags on the AT

Are bear canisters essential for starting AT in GA to Tennessee or can I use a bear bag?

I would say no. I Thru hiked the AT in 2014 and the PCT in 2015 along with half of the CDT. Last year. I would highly recommend the Ursacks sac. I only carried a bear canister where it was required by the NPS on the PCT.

I also like an ursack; I used a pair on the AT in 2012 and on the Long Trail in 2015. It saves quite a bit of time in the evenings, versus hanging a bear bag. Of course it is not as secure as a canister, but is much lighter. I usually only use a canister when in the Adirondacks or other areas where wildlife habituation is a problem.

There are one or two areas where bear canisters may now be required according to the trail updates page.
http://appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/trail-updates

1 Like

Thank you so much. I was just going to take a bear bag but after reading what I read, think I better do as advised and use a bear canister which I really didn’t want to use :-(. I’m airing on the side of caution.

Maybe you could bounce the bear canister around the areas where it is not needed.

The combination or Ursak with OPbag & aluminium liner would be lighter. I’m considering this combo and bouncing the liner when it’s not needed. (Not even sure if I need the liner; most of my food won’t matter if it gets smooshed.)

Many Parks accept Ursak as a bear proof container; but not all.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mess with a canister. Like everyone said, the Ursack is much lighter and doesn’t take up near the space. The only area you need a canister is from Jarrard Gap to Neel Gap, a distance of 5 miles. Most hikers usually plan their hikes to not even stay in this area overnight. If they have added another section where a canister is needed, I’m not aware of it. If I recall, several of the shelters in that area have Bear Cables already installed. Use your Back Woods Safe Camping Principles and you shouldn’t have a problem with a bear. I’ve been backpacking 44 years and have yet to see a bear.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the carbon fiber bear canisters?

I haven’t Goat. I just use a “Sea to Summit” waterproof stuff sack for my food.

https://www.ursack.com/product/ursack-s29-allwhite/

Here is a website to check the incredible strength of the Ursack. They are a little expensive, but if they keep the bears from getting your food while in the backcountry, I guess they are worth it.