Bear Canister Necessary?

imported

Some places require bear canisters (mostly National Parks) but I hate the extra weight. Hanging a bag can be difficult in the higher altitudes or pine forests. What kind of bear prevention is needed? What is typical on the CT? Comments? Recommendations?

DaVitch

Canisters are not required anywhere on the CT. However, there are incidents every year where bears get hikers food in various places along the trail. You should either hang or use a Ursack if you don’t want to deal with the canister. The Ursack will work above treeline.

A two rope hang it works well in pine trees. (Pull it up high with one rope and out from the trunk with the other, which is tied to a second tree)

bearcreek

Some folks prefer using a combination of OPSAK (Loksak) bags, with the Ursack.

Gummi Bear

I’ve looked at the Ursack ($70) which looks pretty good (at least the videos). I assume it still needs to be hung at night, so doesn’t really add too much over a cheaper bag. Same with the OPSAK, it seems like throwing money at the problem, but not a solution (sorry).

BTW: Thanks ‘bearcreek’ for the novel pine tree hanging method. I haven’t seen that before.

DaVitch

The Ursack doesn’t necessarily need to be hung in a tree at night.

ursack.com/how-to-use/

Bernard Wolf

I have always used the LOKSACK OPSAK odor proof bags on all my hikes. FYI, the vast majority of the CT thru hikers that I have hiked with or run into on the trail do not use canisters or hang their food. The odor proof bags seem to work in addition to keeping your campsite clean. Ron :slight_smile:

San Juan Ron

Hi, I hiked the entire trail and was fastidious about putting anything with a scent in the odor proof bags. I never had a problem. However, its important to get empty wrappers, chap stick, sunscreen, everything in the bag!

saphta