Bear Canisters - John Muir Trail

imported

I’m starting northbound on JMT at Happy Isles. I’ll be renting a bear canister in Yosemite. I’m hiking to Mt Whitney. When on the trail is safe to get rid of the bear canister and send it back to Yosemite?

Elizabeth

never. not until you get to Whitney Portal.

swamp fox

The canister is required on the entire length of the trail and you will get asked about it if you see a ranger (probable). If your food doesn’t all fit, and for most it won’t at the beginning of a resupply, we and many other hikers we met just kept it in the tent at night. Never saw a bear or scat but know of some that did.

Chris

In 2007 we had bear activity first three nights and also our last nite. We were also stopped by an Ranger intern to check if we had a canister as we walked the Lyell valley part of the JMT.

swamp fox

I don’t have a problem carrying the Bear Canister if it’s required. I question putting extra food from resupply in my tent? I’ve lived in Colorado for 30 years and have never put food in my tent??? Thanks everyone for your info! I love this trail forum.

Elizabeth

Hiked it in 2011 (see my journal). At the time, they allowed “today’s food” to be kept in a separate container. I carried an URSACK as my 2nd container for “today’s food”. The longest stretch for us was MTR to Whitney, which we did in 7 days. For that stretch I was able to cram 6 days into the BV500 and one day in the URSACK. We were indeed asked by more than one ranger if we had our canisters (though they never actually asked to see them). I store only well-sealed/less-smelly food in an odorless bag that comes with the URSACK. I force out all the air in the odorless bag, seal tightly (squeezing to verify all air is out) and then seal up the URSACK exactly following its instructions. Here’s where I break policy a bit (do so at your own risk or ranger or Yogi): I stuff the URSACK in my sealed-up backpack & tuck it under my pillow. Where canisters aren’t required I always use my URSACK. (I use what they now call the “All White” - their “bear resistant” bag.)

trek-or

Awesome advice trek-or! I’ll check out the URSACK.

Elizabeth

Bear Canisters are not required along the entire length of the JMT but because you go in and out of required areas it only makes sense to carry one to protect you and more importantly the bears who become a problem once they get a food reward. This link shows the required areas:

http://sierrawild.gov/bears/food-storage-map

Most people end up with too much food to fit in their canister at Muir Trial Ranch. You are allowed to hang the excess (using the counter balance method)from MTR to Pinchot Pass but you should have room in the canister within a day or two out of MTR. Good luck.

Still Lookin’

The peace of mind provided by a bear canister is worth the extra weight. After dinner, fill it, seal it, place it and forget about it. I’ve been using a Bearicade Expedition for about ten years and have never had it disturbed by a bear - and I spend most of my time in prime bear country in Sequoia / Kings Canyon.

I’ve been doing 2-week solo trips in the Sierra for 26 years. Have encountered bears on about half of the trips - last year on two separate days along Bubbs Creek.

Prior to using bear canisters, I kept the food in the tent - in freezer bags in stuff sacks in my closed pack covered by dirty socks, boots and shirt. After a few days I figured the smell of those things would cover the smell of freeze dried food. It worked.

Booger

my husband and i carry the bv 500 and the bv 450. that way, between the two of us we have all the storage we want and don’t have to compromise with having any food out of the vault on a first day out of resupply. i almost always hike with a bear vault of this type for many reasons, including my responsibility as a species to keep bears safe from people. but i really like it because mice, rats, raccoons and other nibblers don’t destroy my stuff getting to the food. also, the bv’s keep things from getting crushed, and keep things cooler. real broccoli and kale and collard greens and cheese will stay pretty fresh for 5 days and its worth the freshness and morale boost for me to add to my backpacker meals that way.

Spencer