Bear spray? - Appalachian Trail

imported

In about two weeks, we will be starting our NOBO hike on the Southern section. I know that bear encounters are rare; but what is the opinion concerning a need for bear spray?

Tammy Wyers

I think it is unnecessary weight. The chance of seeing a bear is low and if you take precautions such as hanging all your food then you will minimize the risk of a night visit. Black Bears on most of the trail have been hunted and fear humans so will run at the first sign of them. Even in areas where they are used to humans such as GSMNP and SNP they seem to just ignore the hikers. Just be alert and you will be fine.

Big B

I agree bear encounters are very rare. Bear spray is probably a decision based on what makes you most comfortable. Perhaps it’s a “you pack your fears” decision. Foot Locker’s May 24, 2016 bear encounter probably would have me carrying bear spray after all. I never thought I would carry it. I’d probably never need it but heck. It might be useful against a bad human too. I don’t know if it’s okay to use on a bad human but if it’s him or me, he’s gonna get sprayed. You’d need to keep it in quick reach. Just thinking out loud here.

Stomper

Thanks for your input. I already own SABRE spray for personal protection and it comes in a very small pocket size container. I think it would be as effective as anything else, and will probably just take it along.

Tammy Wyers

The spray for personal protection would not stop a bear attack; it does not spray far enough away. I saw the hind ends of several bears on the AT, but they were always running away at full speed.

Turtle Walking