Bicycling the AZT

imported

I was checking out some adventure mag blog & they said the AZT was designed as a horse, bicycle, walking trail… from all the blogs I’ve read of the AZT, it is not even walkable, let alone the other modes. Has anyone biked or horsed it? They did say the Grand Can was off limits & must be walked, so that would have to be detoured by bike at least.

inchworm plumber

Inchworm - In a word, yes, with some caveats. I think you’ll find the definitive answer to the bicycle portion of your question over at bikepacking.net

blisterfree

I have ridden the entire az trail horseback, took 6 yrs. (only 5 have done it this way) Horseback logistics totally different than mt bike. Mt bikes not allowed in wilderness and the canyon. Go to the AZ trail association web page alot of folks have ridden the trail via mt bikes just have to do a few detours. The trail stewards can supply you with valubale information.

trailrider

I section hiked the southern 200 mile section of the AZT. It is biker friendly with lots of meandering miles. The sky islands may be a challenge though, steep and eroded. Be careful when going up and down those critters. As far as the sections of the Sonoran Desert? It would have been nice to be on two wheels through that… beautiful, meandering and well maintained!

Wilderness Bob

I hear some middle parts were overgrown with Manzanitas & some covered in snow until late spring. If I decide to ride it, I’ll be sure to take some drinks & snax for any hikers !

inchworm plumber