Border patrol on the CDT

imported

I’m starting the CDT in April going north from crazy cook. How far north is border patrol active, and what was your experience with them like?

memento

No reason to worry about the border patrol. They have no interest in hikers. My encounter with the BP was good. They simply asked me how my hike was going and asked if I needed water or any assistance. This happened on the PCT and NOT the CDT.

Take five

We saw them as far north as Silver City last year. When we saw them as we were hiking they did not bother us. We talked to them and they were nice. They knew what we were doing and didn’t really care, but did think we were crazy.

Macon Tracks

We were buzzed by aircraft on the first two days. On the third some agents came up and checked our shoes (to see if they matched the footprints they had seen?), then told us we were on the wrong track and how to get back to the right one. No problem at all.

Ginny

Thanks guys, this was my first time posting on the forum, I didn’t think I’d get responses so quickly.

Memento

I did not see them past Lordsburg. I had several stop me to ask questions. On my second night they scared the bejeezies out of me when they shown spot lights on my tarp. I also got water and sports drinks from them three times, and they gave another hiker a ride into town. They were present, and very helpful.

Lucy Lulu

They are awesome! An agent picked me up @ Crazy Cook & drove me to Lordsburg & wouldn’t let me pay him or even give him gas money (“It’s on Uncle Sam” he said). I was able to take him out to dinner in town. Don’t expect rides from them (this agent was off-duty & had permission to pick me up), but they have consistently been very helpful to CDT hikers.

Have a great trip on the WILD trail :slight_smile:

freebird

Props to the helpful border agents.

'05 thru hiker

The hike from CC to Lordsburg passes through a smuggling corridor. Believe me, you are better off if you encounter Border Patrol as opposed to narco-traffickers. When we hiked through there they were courteous and helpful.

bearcreek

I agree with Bear creek. I would much rather encounter the border patrol than drug smugglers. Drug smugglers can be Very dangerous . I Am hiking from Crazy Cook in a couple weeks and I look forward to seeing the border patrol. I will feel much safer seeing the bp than running into a truck load of bandidos that would easily off me if I interfered with their operation.

miles

Like it or not, there is a 100 mile constitution-free zone in the U.S. Thankfully, my experience is that BP has never done anything more than make polite conversation with me through which they can pretty much verify that I look like a gringo and I don’t speak with a Mexican accent. I’ve found that I can pretty much treat BP like another hiker, a quick chat in passing and I continue on.

I cannot see how anyone could possible benefit from lipping off at the officers. The solution to any perceived problem with an infringement of constitutional rights can only be found in Washington DC, not by making somebody’s job more difficult and unpleasant near the border.

Loup