Camping in Watauga "Bear" Area

imported

Ladies and Gents,

Me and my two grown boys will be doing Dennis Cove Road (Hampton, TN) to Damascus later this week. We typically will do 10 to 15 miles on our first day. Watauga Shelter is closed due to bear activity. My AT Conservancy profile map shows a good tenting site at nearby Griffiths Branch. Should it be avoided due to the bear problem? Are there other desirable camping sites between Highway 321 and Wilbur Lake Road?

Also, anybody know if there is “normal” water availability in that area? It’s been incredibly dry in Georgia this summer, but perhaps Tennessee hasn’t been as dry?

Dan Roper

I would press on a bit further to the spring listed at 434.2 That will make for 16 mile day and get you away from the problem area. If that spring is dry it’s only a bit over a mile and a half to the Vandy shelter which will have water. I would not camp at the Griffiths branch. There is never much water on these long low ridglines.

Francis

There have been bear warnings in the same area along the trail for at least the past decade. Often times these are posted in problem areas such as Wantaga (party site) and other places where a lower impact is desired. Cow rock is a perfect example…I am sure the bear I was warned about in 2002 is no longer a problem. No need to worry about any bear issues especially in areas when hunting is permitted. Your best bet of seeing a bear in these areas would only be a glancing shot of a backside heading in the opposite direction.

Concerning Wantauga…wasted locals drinking late into the night and tired hikers do not always mix well. Never know when the gang will show up when the shelter is so close to the road. It would be wise to move on regardless of the bear warning.

Happy hiking

stealthblew

There is an excellent hostel called Boots Off just south of Watauga Lake which just opened a month or two ago. Jim, the owner, is very accommodating. He will rent bunks or allow hikers to set up tents on his property for not much money.The hostel is clean, has showers and laundry available and Jim often serves up a dinner at night. He has been doing very well for having just opened because of the Watauga restrictions.

That is supposed to read “Watauga” bear area. Darn spell check.