Camping spots by the border

imported

Any recommendations on good places to camp 20-25 miles north of the border?

How far north of the border do I have to get to not have to worry about illegals?

How worried should I be?

Thanks!

Lost

There’s good camping almost everywhere along the trail, even on the ridges on the Miller Peak climb. It’s probably best to get out of sight of the trail. I was ‘bothered’ more by border patrol agents than by illegals. Illegals were quieter.

It’s probably best to be alert up to I-10.

If there were any conflicts with hikers, you’d hear about it. It’s simply not been a problem out there. You hear more stories of hikers helping out with directions, water, etc. Don’t try to play vigilante or get in the way, and you’ll be fine. General situational awareness will go a long way, everywhere.

Garlic

I did the section of the AZT from Mexico to Tucson last year. I only saw a few indications that illegal crossers were using the trail–a few places that had discarded clothing and once I followed the tennis shoe/flat soled foot prints for several miles of someone who was obviously not a pleasure hiker just south of Canelo Pass. My first night north of the border I camped on a ridge above Tub Springs–well away from the springs on a ridge with a great view. I also camped near Parker Creek with no problems. The only anxiety I had near the border was when I camped near Canelo Pass and the border patrol encamped at 10 PM in a turnout on the road several hundred feet from my tent. Another annoyance was the constant whine of the unmanned drones the border patrol flies to detect border crossers. But there were no problems at all.

Fireweed