Car at Northern end, and how's August?

imported

Hello all!

Is there a fairly safe place to leave one’s vehicle near the northern terminus of the LT? I’m considering a hike where is drive to the north, leave my car, and (somehow) head back to the VT/MA border to start a northbound thru.

Also, how’s August for a hike? Black flies gone by then? Any chance I’ll see color change in the north by the time I get up there?

Thanks for any responses!

Leki-Less '04

By August the black flies are not much of a problem but the skeeters are out in full force by then. However they are mostly bad at the lower elevations so are not a constant problem. The trees do not start really changing until late September.

Big B

Honestly, I would not encourage you to leave a car anywhere along the LT unless you can find a motel or individual to keep it for you. We are having a rash of breakins along the trail. If you find a motel in Jay they may allow you to keep it there throughout your hike. I live on the trail south of rte 4 in Killington. It is possible I could help you out if you are willing to fork over some bucks for a shuttle. My email is attached. August would be great for a hike although southern VT will always be busy. Bring a tent.

Marti /Swannee