Do I need to bear hang my food on the CT?

imported

Do I need to bear hang my food on the CT?
Hello: I am planning to take with me a cuben fiber food bag with an odor proof bag as a liner. Do I need to hang food bags on the CT? Thank you.

Julio

I ran into bears on the CT so I would say yes. Even if a bear didn’t smell food through the bag he would be realize that it was a food bag and tear it open. Bears are smart and recognize that all bags may hold food. Also your bag most likely will eventually have food odor on the outside of the bag.

Big B

In my observation most hikers either hang their food or carry a bear can. However, in my hike of the CT last year I saw zero sign of bear activity and heard no mention of bears from other hikers. Other ground dwelling kritters are more likely to chew into a bag if it is accessible to them and it smells good.

Dioko

I believe Section 1 has had some closures in the past from problem bears? There are definitely bears in that canyon in any case, so please store your food safely! I’ve carried a canister and never had problems on the CT.

vireyda

YES! If you need to ask that question, you need to hang your food or carry a bear canster.

WILDCAT