Drying Wet Clothes

imported

Always trying to learn more, I wonder if others of you might share your proven methods for drying out wet clothes overnight while hiking. One can use a clothesline, of course, if it has stopped raining, or build a fire and use that heat source. But what about those days when the rain just doesn’t stop? I have pulled small items, socks and gloves, into my sleeping bag on occasions, but would not want to risk soaking my down bag with wet shirts or shorts. I’ve experimented with placing the wet items on the floor of my tent, under my sleeping pad. Body heat overnight has helped to dry them a bit. Anyway, what are your methods for dealing with wet clothes other than just tossing them over into a corner for the night??

Woody

If you wear wool sox, I have found that after wrapping them in a pack-type towel to remove excess moisture, then placing them on your stomach while you sleep will dry them. It’s a bit uncomfortable at first, but works for me. If you wear merino wool next-to-skin wear, it will usually dry on your body, and you won’t feel chilled. That’s why I got rid of most of my synthetic stuff. Also, merino wool doesn’t take up odors like synthetics. YMMV… :tongue

Lady Di

Of the dozen or so “trail miseries” this is the one with no good answer. Few of the tricks will do much good. Most of us will save some dry clothing to sleep in then get up and put those same cold wet items from yesterday and just suffer on. Hanging them in the shelter will do no good. In warmer weather if I’m not soaked to the bone I sometimes will just keep my wet shirt on until it drys on me but I give off a lot of heat and I have thin shirts that dry easy. Big fires with a drying operation takes so much effort that most of us will just skip it. I have on numerous occasions “pressed on” until I got to a town with a laundry.

Francis

Thanks guys. Over the years I guess I’ve done about everything that has been discussed. I suppose I was looking for some miracle new innovative approach to the problem. During the warm months wet clothes aren’t nearly the problem as during the colder months. I guess the trade off is that I don’t sweat as much in colder temps either. Anyway, thanks everyone. We will just keep muddling through this trial together until the ATC and hiking clubs install clothes dryers in the shelters. lol

Woody