Fall Thru Hike - Arizona Trail

imported

I’m interested in hiking the AZT begining mid to late September. Is this a good time to start a thru-hike? What are my best resources for planning this adventure?

Mesa Mike

I hope you get a better response than mine, but I hear that’s the second-best time to thru hike. So much depends on summer monsoon moisture and early snowfalls, and that’s impossible to predict. Generally, I hear, water is more of an issue in the fall than in the spring. But temps should be manageable at least.

Join the ATA at www.aztrail.org, get access to the members-only part of the website, and download the databook, map data, GPS points. There’s a free town guide and water data sheet. There’s a new guide book for sale, I hear. If you’re local (from Mesa?), there are trail work and social events and you can meet hikers and maintainers and get first-hand info.

Garlic

Thanks Garlic. I’m from SW Colorado but I plan on joining the ATA and obtaining the trail info. I am wondering about the water scarcity and what max and average distances are between reliable water sources. Also I am under the impression that hikers in the fall are better off the travel North to South; is this correct? Thanks Again!

Mesa Mike

Definitely southbound in the fall, northbound in the spring. The data book and water guide will both give distances between water sources. The guidebook and website passage descriptions will help with water caching trips if deemed necessary.

Max distances between water supplies won’t exceed 40 miles with a minimum amount of caching, say at Freeman Road near Florence. Average is probably more like 20, but that’s a guess. I had plenty of 30 mile carries and a few closer to 40 miles (I could have taken some nasty cattle tank or Gila River water in those 40 mile carries but chose not to). It’s really dry north of Flagstaff and in the low desert north of Oracle.

Garlic

i would second everything garlic said. what i would add is that the monsoon rain doesn’t refill the water sources (cow tanks and springs) because there is plenty of heat after the monsoon season. it is the snow that refills them. that is what i was told by someone. you might want to verify that. i would check sections 21 and 22 or 22 and 23 because i think they are closed until further notice due to fire. there is water north of flagstaff but few and far in between. the stretch between oracle and superior is pretty brutal for water. i have never done a trail where water was such an issue. if you have any questions about supplying (towns v. drops), i could help you out. just finished that trail and could give you more tips about it if you are interested.

blotter

Hi, Mike. I just sent you an email but wanted to respond to the blog in the event that you didn’t get. I am planning on a thru hike as well and actually need a partner. I am hiking the trail to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis. A lot of what we have planned, thus far, will solve the water issues. We have done a lot of research on trailheads and water supplies. I can be reached at az817@ymail.com and I have a website: az817.org Please let me know if you would like another hiking partner, as I am in need of one as well. I am a pretty accomplished hiker.

Shawn