First Backpacking Trip

I’m planning on taking my four year old daughter on her first backpacking trip this weekend. It’s time. As I dig out my old gear I am amazed that I can’t even remember my last overnight trip.

I’m a little nervous but it’s only because I really want her to enjoy backpacking and I want to make sure her first experience is a good one.

My wife and I took her hiking last summer and she did awesome!

We’re planning on heading out on a short trail that follows a river and has a waterfall at the end. There is a bit of elevation gain on the trail, but I’ve been told there should be many flat places to camp along the way.

For me it’s not how far we go, or getting to any destination, but it’s about spending time together and teaching her about backpacking.

4 Likes

A short trip with some perks (like marshmallows for roasting) will help make it easier for her. Every child will have different fears (darkness, bears, bugs) some of which you may not even be aware of. An unexpected injury (fall or a beesting) can also set your plans awry. Keeping it fun will go a long way to alleviate any fears (and have her wanting to do more the next time). Best of Luck!

Thanks, yes, when we were looking at the map last night she asked where the bears live :smile:

Everything went well on our trip and she had a great time!

On the way home she asked when we are going again :grinning:

6 Likes