First come first serve permit Lyell canyon

imported

I was unable to get a permit for the dates I wanted. Does anyone know if it’s even reasonable to attempt a first come first serve permit in Lyell Canyon? the National Park Service says there’s 10 permits available per day for walk ins.

tom

Three years ago I showed up mid season with two friends who were last minute add ons and had to get a walk in permit. Stop in the night before and put your name on the list for no-show permits also. We missed the walk-in permits but were able to snag two no-show permits. You also have to line up at day break or the line will tend to get long quickly. Also ask about permits from other trailheads if you can’t get Lyell. Your chances are actually pretty good if you follow the above procedures.

Big B

I was able to get a walk in permit for 4 last summer at the Forest service office is Bishop entering over Kearsarge and out Whitney Portal, a very popular hike. The walk in permits are FOR THE NEXT DAY so you have to waste a day. I believe 40% of the permits are held just for that purpose. That is system wide not just the office you go to. We were there and in line a couple hours before the office opened but it paid off.

Chris

Good point Chris, the walk-in permits are for the next day and the no-show permits are for that day. Either way it is a pretty good bet you will get some kind of permit. Also be very nice to the NPS employees who have to deal with idiots and A-holes every day. I found the store, campground and restaurant employees more helpful then the rangers.

Big B