First timer Questions AT 2018

Hey y’all!!
So, I have a few questions about my upcoming hike! I’m planning a NOBO thru-hike beginning around 15 April from Springer, GA. I’m curious about average temperatures (really just where the coldest point was).
What is the average ON-TRAIL budget?
Did anyone hiking 2017 find anything that was different from what the AT Trail Guide listed? I have the 2017 guide, do I need to get an updated one?
Are Bear canisters really necessary?
While I don’t plan to use electronics, in case of emergency is there fairly reliable cell service throughout?
I’m sure I’ll think of more questions, but that should cover it for now…
Thanks!!!

2200forthe22

2 Likes

You can hike the trail as cheap as you want, but the general rule of thumb is to have available anywhere from $4500-$5000. Why so much you ask? You’ll have resupply to do for (6) six months, hostel and motel expense may be necessary when you go into town for resupply, and when you’re in town you will undoubtedly want to eat in a restaurant. You may have some equipment to replace during your hike. Might be a side trip you’ll want to make.
As far as a Bear Canister, they are bulky and heavy. Another option is a URSACK. A little pricey but they’re bear proof if used correctly (check them out) or just remember to hang your Bear Bag each night and use any of the waterproof sacks that are available. (Some of the shelters have Bear cables already up or they may have a Bear Box).
Temperatures are anyone’s guess. It’s “Nature” and it varies all the time, perhaps another reader can give you a better answer on this.
The guidebook doesn’t change all that much from year to year so you would probably be OK using your 2017 model, I always just tried to have the “updated” one just in case. They’re not all that expensive to have current information and ATC has several choices from the **Data Book ** to the Thru-Hiker’s Companion plus the various maps for each state.
Cell service is “touch-and-go”. It depends on your carrier and where you are at. Verizon was a good choice in 2015.
These are just my opinions and suggestions, I’m sure others will have theirs, so I hope this has helped.
Have an awesome hike and be safe.

1 Like

April 15 is a smart time frame to start. At higher altitudes in Georgia and NC it will still be pretty cold at night in the 30’s. So you need a good sleeping bag and a puffy jacket. If it get’s super cold you can sleep in your coat. With all of the up’s and down’s in this area try to sleep at lower altitudes when it very cold. There is 15 or 20 degrees difference sometimes. For most hikers in this area who are hit by the big cold front they just go to town. That can be your backup plan everywhere except the Smokey’s. You will hit them about May 1st and for most of us there are no spots to bail in the first 4 days to Newfound Gap and the next 3 days to Davenport Gap. So pay attention to the weather report. Never enter the Smokey’s in the face of an impending winter storm. Ever. Most people spend about 5 grand on a 5/6 month thru hike. I don’t have much money so I pay much less. I live by the code for poor people. 1. eat cheap, 2. sleep cheap. 3. hitch hike. Purchase food in stores and cook it, if you must eat fast food…dollar menu only. As soon as you get to a hostel, ask about the hikerbox. The food you find in there is yours, don’t be shy or pickey. Most of it got in there because others ended up with more than they could carry or mom mailed too much in the resupply box. If people put food out for you or offer to give you food like trail magic, Accept. Never pay for a motel by yourself, always recruit room mates. Sleeping for 1/4 price on the floor ain’t so bad at the super 8. You have a sleeping bag…shower, TV, heat…not bad at all for 12 bucks and every once in a while you get the bed. That book you have is just fine. Remember that you won’t be hiking alone and someone on your team or hiking family will have better info if your book fails you. You won’t need any kind of bear can. In bear country they provide cables or a big metal box at shelters. If you need to hang your food you can bring some light weight cord. Cell service sucks in the mountains. High peaks work better than valleys, all in all you will be able to call home every few days except in Maine. In an emergency you will have your hiking family to help.

4 Likes

Thanks gobbler, I appreciate the info. It’s hard to believe, even though I’ve heard it several times, that it’s that expensive to hike the trail. I was actually hoping to save money.
Thanks for your response!
2200 for the 22
Tracey

Thank you “mouldsfn” (what’s that mean?)
Good point on the going low in cold weather. Common sense when you think about it, but there’s no guarantee I would have thought about it so I appreciate it.
2200forthe22
Tracey

1 Like

You are welcome. You can hike the trail a lot cheaper, it’s up to the individual, myself I appreciate some creature comforts every once in a while, so I opt for a hostel or motel stay so I can shower, wash clothes and eat restaurant food over lightweight trail food.
With the proper planning, you can resupply and avoid having to stay in town.

Following this thread and appreciate the answers as well. Thanks for the tips on saving money. #AT2019