"Flip-Flop" Hike

I’ve decided to try doing a “Flip-Flop” hike. My plans are to start at Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro, Va.), and hike NOBO to Katahdin, then go back to Rockfish Gap and hike SOBO to Springer.
My reason for doing this is two fold: One is to avoid as much of the lingering cold Winter weather as possible, and the other is to avoid the over crowding conditions of the trail in the South.

I’m thinking of a start date of May 1st. I’ve been working on an itinerary (we all know these fly away after the first day or two on the trail), just to see where I could be on a given date. I’ve included “Side Trips” into my itinerary as well as a good number of Zero-Days, and it looks real good.

I’m not finished with my itinerary but so far, I have myself 137 miles from the N.H./ME. state line early in July. Once I’ve completed the itinerary, I’ll post back here as to how long it has me taking to get to Katahdin.

Sounds like a good plan. Have fun and good luck.

EarthTone

Thank you very much Earth Tone and Lo Gear. I have the itinerary finished so it looks like we’ll be getting to Katahdin around the 22nd of August.
I allowed 10 to 12 days for doing the Whites in N.H., and there’s the possibility of taking less time for them.

Sounds like a solid plan. I’m just curious how far north the bubble will be when you start? They’ll no doubt have trail legs by Virginia and be moving quickly but I’m thinking you’re gonna have a crowd around you by then. Not that that’s a bad thing. Just seems like more n more people are discovering the beauty of the AT. Safe travels. Cheers

Thanks Johnered66!. I’m figuring it will take just a little over two months going to Springer, so the NOBOers starting in April may not be far enough to intercept me at my start. If the ones that started in March didn’t “Freeze Out” and are still on the trail, ya, they should be up there by then.

Hope to see you on the trail.
I will also be doing a flip flop from Rockfish Gap, but plan to depart about 2 weeks before the flip flop festival. Hoping to get my trail legs and miles per day up before I reach Harpers Ferry so I am (hopefully) faster than the mini-bubble leaving after the festival.

Hi! Jackie. Good luck to you on your “Flip-Flop” hike. I’ll start monitoring the weather real close the first of April and if I see it’s looking favorable (Old Man Winter has moved on), I may start mid-April as well to be in Harpers Ferry for the “Kick Off”. Perhaps will run into each other somewhere. Take care.

1 Like

Here’s an update on my Flip-Flop hike. I’m planning on starting at Harpers Ferry, right after the “Flip-Flop Festival” that ATC puts on. I’ve made a reservation at one of the hostels in town and plan on going over a couple of days before the festival to do some sightseeing. Being a Civil War buff, I know there’s a lot to see in HF and the surrounding area.
As far as getting over there, I may have to take a Greyhound into D.C, get off at Union Station, and then take the train over to HF. That should make for an interesting trip in itself. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I found out that I can take a train from Toledo, OH, right over to Harpers Ferry.
Now that doesn’t sound like a bad deal. (Thanks T. Anderson)

Here’s an update to my “Flip-Flop” hike. I won’t be starting until 2020 now. I was taken to the hospital Feb. 3rd. They thought I had a Mini Stroke, fortunately this was not the case. An MRI showed that I have a vertebrae slightly out of alignment which they think is pinching a nerve that controls my right leg. I have been to a Chiropractor for an adjustment and am walking better and will continue seeing him, until I’m walking perfect and without pain.
I didn’t want to have to make this decision, but I think it’s for the best.
I am planning on being in Harpers Ferry for the “Flip-Flop” Festival, April 27th and 28th, so perhaps I’ll meet some of you there.

My medical doctor informed me that my Blood Count is low, which means I’m either not producing Red Blood Cells, or I’m bleeding somewhere (ulcer). She ordered a Blood Test which will determine if I’m producing Red Blood Cells.

Better to find out all of this now, instead of being on the trail.

1 Like

Here we are into September. I’ve been having Physical Therapy for the last two weeks on my lower back and leg muscles. It seems these muscle groups are all tightened up which is causing my ‘gimpy’ right leg. Hopefully, with continuing PT my walking ability will improve so that I can get on the trail next year.

1 Like