FT Hiker dies - The Florida Trail

imported

Check on your hiker. Make sure they are prepared for the upcoming cold weather.

Hammock Hanger

http://www.wptv.com/content/news/topstories/story/Hiker-dies-along-trail/eJbv5ft9_Uii3-5VBmAfDg.cspx

Hammock Hanger

I read the article. I would have been wearing about the same kind of clothes walking in those temps. What the article didn’t say was whether the guy had other clothes and gear in his backpack.

Hate to hear these kind of stories. Too bad for his family and friends.

Thanks for posting it HH.

Stumpknocker

Frankly,I’m surprised there haven’t been more stories like this given the ultra light hiking craze. I’ve seen and heard about enough close calls with folks packing the minimum gear without much room for error. Of course not too many people would be expecting this kind of weather in Florida.

RIP

Stryker

Most of the hikers out there have been prepared, not happy perhaps but prepared. The forecasters have been warning people about the weather and cold temps for weeks. – This hiker had a pack with a sleeping bag but I guess he got into an area with water and perhaps just did not know what to do… I always try to prepare hikers for a variety of weather here in FL during the winter.

Hammock hanger

We have been away from Florida for a few days, and missed the news report. Does anyone have details on how and when this happened.

swamp fox

Report from another site. FYI "…District 19 a few days ago and talked to the Investigator on the case a colleague of mine. He said the guy 53 years old had a bad heart and was a little overweight and the actual diagnois was Hypothermia with contributory of Artherosclerotic Heart Disease. He was found in waist deep water and was hung up on a barbed wire fence. The guy had a windbreaker on. The Investigator did say that the son of the decedent said he was a professional hiker. I took that as an ‘avid’ hiker. Hopefully this is not too graphic I deal in this all day so I am not trying to gross anyone out. The Dr. was not sure if his heart stopped prior to the hypothermia or not, but ruled main cause of death as hypothermia, which would be normal under the circumstances.

But this action has just confirmed to me to hike in at least pairs, and I have made a point that even on a hike with a few miles I take a day pack. You just never know when you may be out there an extended length of time."

Lady Di

We found the hiker in waist deep water and tangled in the barbed wire fence. When I crossed behind him before the police arrived I was in shorts and a light shirt. To assume that packing Ultra Lite killed this guy is wrong! With the new high tech ultra lite gear I have everything I need and a 10lb. Pack for a thru hike

No Trace

You can be lightweight and fully prepared. I have just found that a lot of hikers from up north can not believe that FL gets cold. If the guy was an experienced hiker he probably knew how to handle various situations and this was just one of those rare and sad occasions when “crap happens”. Perhaps his being tangled in the barb wire attributed to the situation. No one will ever know for sure.

Hammock Hanger