FT Maps Do I need them?

imported

I’ll be thru-hiking the FT in January and wanted to get input from other hikers who have completed the FT about the necessity of the FT maps. Before I go on, let me qualify this by saying that I’m an experienced hiker and understand the importance, specifically safety, of carrying a map, but from two long distance hikes I have done on the Tahoe Rim Trail & the PCT, I found that I rarely used the maps I purchased. In fact, I only looked at the PCT maps when I wanted to know how many switchbacks I had until I reached the top of a crest.

I will purchase the FT databook for sure, mainly for water, campsites and other information.

lil’ buddha

Hi, LB

I’d recommend the maps 4 yr. hike of the FT. It’s jus’ 1 more tool that could come in handy. & a compass could help, 'specially in the Big Cypress.

Good luck, happy trls. and Marry Xmas…JP/Rodknee Dangertrl.

jon phipps

Matt /Jody did FT through last winter. They might have an opinion. From their website “Sunshine Expedition”; a great story! Contact: Please feel free to contact us at any time.
Mkeene@sunshineexpedition.com

Peter

The trail is pretty well blazed but I would recommend the maps. You never know when you will need to get into a town or have an emergency. It is good to know what is in the vicinity and not just in the corridor.

Hammock Hanger

lil’ Buddha, I have hiked the whole triple crown and I see your point regarding the PCT. I understand that you want to hike the ECT and I would say that you can also hike the AT without maps.
But after reading a lot of FT trailjournals I realised that navigation is a major issue on the FT. Trail blazing is not perfect and there are a lot of relocations. In every journal I read someone got lost or had navigation issues. I will start my FT thruhike late January and will definitely carry the maps. I would also recommend the companion. Only after reading the companion I realised that logistics are not as easy as I thought.
Hope to see you on the trail,
German Tourist aka Christine

German Tourist

Thanks everyone for the response. I’ll most likely purchase the maps but just wanted to get more information.

lil’ buddha

lil buddha