Gear storage - The Colorado Trail

imported

I’ll be flying directly to Denver from a family event. I’ll have some items I don’t want to carry on the trail. Any suggestions as to storage options or should I plan to ship them home? Thx

Push

Are you bringing extra items to the start of a hike? Could they be shipped home before leaving family’s house? Shipping items home would probably be less expensive than renting storage space in Denver. Caching your items may be risky but would be the cheapest if they are not found by someone else or damaged from the elements. If it were me, shipping via the Post Office would be a suitable solution. Have fun on the hike

stealthblew

Push, if this is an attempt to combine a ride from the airport to the trail with some superfluous gear, then hats off for a truly creative ideal.

stealthblew

You should probably ship it home or to a family member (or give it to them at the family event… In the case of clothing, I pack my hiking clothes and then wear some old throw away clothes to travel that I have been meaning to get rid of and leave them in a trash can before hitting the trail.

Schiff

Thanks for the advice. Nothing sneaky intended.

Push

What I did when I hiked the JMT a few years back is I made a reservation at the hotel I planned to stay at the night I arrived and stayed at the same place the night before I left. I ask them if they could hold a few items for me until I finished my hike and they were more then happy to do it. If its a nicer hotel talk to the concierge if its an affordable hotel the night manager is the one to talk to.

Big B

Depending upon how large of a box of stuff you have, you can mail it to a post office along the trail and keep forwarding it to the next trail town for free or label it to be ‘held for Colorado Trail hiker for XX amount of days’, etc.

Hank101

I appreciate the advice, Big B and Hank101. Both options sound good to me.

Push