Glacier NP permits

imported

I know that many hikers don’t bother with the reservation system and this probably works fine if you are in GNP in mid-June or late September.

I’m planning to start June 28 from Waterton, but my request for 8 backcountry permits was rejected - I gather that I “lost” their lottery thing.

I don’t see any option except to show up at the Waterton (or maybe Two Medicine)ranger station and see what I can get. Any thoughts or past experienc ?

Mike

The walk in system works great, especially if you are flexible by a day or two. Half of the campsites are walk in and half are reserved. You can arrange a walk in the day before you hike. Go in as early in the morning as you can and get it set up to start the following day. (There is a 24 hour limit on how much earlier you can show up for a permit.)

Not sure if you will be able to do it from Waterton this year that early. Lots of snow up there this year. That’s something you can settle when you show up.

bearcreek

One issue you may be having is that they don’t know yet what the snow situation will be in late June. If there is a lot of snow at a campsite, making the bear pole useless, they will close the campsite. Or if there are no clear camping areas. When we did our SOBO hike, there were some camping areas that only had one out of four sites open, and some had none. It may actually be easier to go when you are actually ready to hike, they will know then what areas are closed because of bears, snow, etc. Just be flexible. You may have to go south to north instead. OR you may not be able to start at Waterton, but instead at Chief Mountain. OR you may have to do a very short day in there instead of the longer one you would like to do.

Ginny