Glacier Park Hike-about

imported

I’m planning a hike-about Glacier National Park this summer (3 weeks beginning of August) and I’m looking for hiker tips. I’m pretty much interested in anything that will be of interest inside or on the border of the park.

Also, I’m interested in a few particulars. Are there any natural hot springs, ones that are non-commercial, IN the park? How about the fire towers, can they be accessed or are they for official use only? I plan on flying into Spokane and taking the rail to west Glacier any problems with that plan? I see a few different park passes, since I’m not driving and I plan on hiking/hitching in which do you recommend? Did anybody use the tour busses in Glacier and if so what was the fee? Was it a one-way, daily, or weekly options on the pass? Did anyone have a chance to compare lodges? Do any of the lodges have AYCE’s? Does anybody have any info about Kalispell or the surrounding areas, little villages that I should check out or stay away from? Also, I have AT&T, does anybody know if there is or is not service on the West or East side of the park?

My wife told me a few days ago that I could go for three weeks so I’m just now starting to plan.

Thanks,

Hellkat

Magic Dinsmore

Your best bet is to ask the questions on Whiteblaze.net. There are quite a few CDT hikers over there that could probably answer some of these off the top of their heads.

Lucy Lulu

I spent a week in Glacier in 2010 great place to hike. Check out their website it has lots of info. They have a lottery system for backcountry hiking and you must have permit and you have to carry bear spray (saw four grizzlies) In 2010 I submitted a form with three different hiking itineraries , the park issued a permit based on availability of spots in the designated backcountry sites. My third Itinerary was chosen, the first two were rejected because all slots were filled. I did a great 60 mile hike in six days, I took AMTRAk from Boston all the way to east glacier, where there is a small seasonal town with hotels, hostels
and restaurants. The shuttle bus also stops here at the grand hotel across from the RR station.

chef

I saw the lottery system but (on average) only half of the spaces are for the lottery reservation, the other half are for walk-in (first-come-first-served.) Pretty much the same as Yosemite, which makes it really easy for a solo like me to work around the lottery system. Also it’s more convenient to get walk-in permits because I can flex my schedule.

I was going to fly into Spokane because the train only cost $49 from Spokane to West Glacier but now I think I’m just going to fly into the Glacier Jet Center. The price is pretty much the same.

Anyone have any experience with the bugs that they could share? My itinerary is now looking like Aug 5th- Aug 26th.

Magic ‘hellkat’ Dinsmore

My unfinished trailjournal has a highly detailed description of amtraking to E. Glacier & taking the oldtimey buses or hiking over to 2-Med to get a permit.
I would read numerous CDt journals because they include descriptions of what was encountered. Get to the ranger station (either from E or W Glacier I guess) early in the day, preferrably a weekday, but having reservations for the most popular trails would be highly recommended !

gingerbreadman