Good hike in New England area for Columbus Day weekend

I’m trying to figure out a good hike in New England area for me, my hubbie, and my very athletic outdoorsy 4.5 and 7 yr old boys to get us back into the swing of things after a kid hiatus from hiking/camping! Need assistance on finding a good 3-day/2-night plan for Columbus Day weekend that is kid-friendly!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome, please, introduce yourself

Hi! Hizzile,
Perhaps a good hike to introduce your boys to backpacking would be from Vt. 12 (Woodstock, Vt.) over to either U.S 5 (Norwich, Vt. or on over to Hanover, N.H.).
From Vt. 12 to Thistle Hill Shelter, it’s around 9 miles, and then from Thistle Hill Shelter over to Happy Hill Shelter/Campsite, it’s another 9 miles.
This section has a few climbs but nothing over 2,000’. By going on to Hanover, N.H., they will get to cross a state line.
I hope you all have an awesome adventure!!
“Happy Trails”

1 Like

Thank you @gorpgobbler2015! Great area too - we know if well from vacationing at cabins in Lyme, NH for years.

@hizzizle I was looking around to find out if any place rents backpacking gear and found this free course at REI you may be interested it. We have older 30 degree sleeping bags for the boys can borrow but you’ll have to keep an eye on the weather, it can get cold in the mountains at night in October.

It looks like REI does rent gear too.

1 Like

@hizzizle We hiked the coppermine trail that goes up to Bridal Veil Falls.

1 Like

Thanks for both @Leif!