Govorner clement shelter

imported

does anyone know about the secret shelter just before the gov. clement shelter? i stayed at this secret shelter 2 yrs ago on my thrue hike, a lady named swansong i think owned the place, im thinking of doing the fist 100 miles again this yr up to the LT Inn, i was wondering if this shelter still exists,

i think i also read somewhere that they may close the road to gov. clement shelter so the locals cant drive in there anymore and hurass the hikers, that would be cool because the shelter is pretyy cool all stone and concrete, although swansong may be a little bummed because she has a nice shelter that will probably wont get used anymore.

any info would be great .

Thanks

Backtrack

Backtrack,
The Swan Song (“secret”) shelter was there in August. Beautiful spot. Lovely camping areas too. The best people, very welcoming.
Well worth the short off trail walk.

Gov. Clements was a mess.
A large rutted, muddy road with tire tracks all around the shelter, fireplace full of beer cans & trash.
The Winter 2007 Long Trail News, page 12, mentions plans for posting a gate across the road to keep the Shrewsbury Rednecks out.
Press on from there, not a pleasant place, IMO.

Topless

Try the office for the latest info…

Jen Donley
Office Coordinator
Green Mountain Club
4711 Waterbury-Stowe Road
Waterbury Center, VT 05677
Phone (802) 244-7037 x10
E-mail jdonley@greenmountainclub.org

topless

Thanks Topless,
do you know if swnsong has any contact info.?

Backtack

Is the shelter still marked on the trail w/ a note in a bag on the side of the trail, i cant really remember where she is while i sit here and think of it , i do know its before the gov. shelter heading N. , cant remember if there was a side trail to it or not.

Backtrack

I’ve stayed at the Swansong Shelter too. There isn’t a blazed trail. I found it by following the directions left int he Ziploc baggie. It’s up the road- I think left then right. There were small cairns along the way which were inconspicuous unless you looked for them. I don’t know of any contact info, but they are still there welcoming hikers. I’m sure once you get out there you’ll find it, either by note, talking to other hikers, or memory once there again.
Also, good news. An agreement has been worked out between GMC and the town of Shrewsbury about gating the road to Gov. Clement. People will no longer be able to drive right up to the shelter. It will be open some times of the year for snowmobilers and hunters, but closed for the most part and in hiking season. The next step would be to see how it goes over a few hiking seasons, then spruce up the shelter.

Early Bird

Yup, I’m sure i’ll find it,
I remember when i was on my way there last time i was kind of leary because i was alone and didnt know if i was heading into somekind of hillbilly trap or something, once there tho i was definatally put at eas by windsaong and her dog that likes to push rocks all over the place. weird , but cool dog.

Backtrack

Its West of the Trail where the trail crosses a gravel road with a small wooden bridge just a bit South of Gov. Clement Shelter. Follow the gravel road about .4 to a dead-end “T” . At the “T” dead-end, look for a rock cairn accross the road just to your right. That’s the faint trail to the shelter.

Happy Trails!

freebird

The Secret Shelter is still open to hikers. Because the Gov Clement is in better shape now we did not post a sign along the trail. You had to work hard to find the shelter, making it a real secret now.

Swansong