Hammocker's Sleeping Pad Or Not

Things are developing for my thru attempt on the AT.

I’ve recently switched to a hammock system, and I am very happy with that over a tent. I save weight, especially after I replace my sleeping pad and bag with a nice over and under quilt. However, I am aware there are places, Smokies etc, that require you to use the shelters. This isn’t about wether the shelter will be full and I have to sleep elsewhere… I snore and elsewhere is where you want me. But at the times I use the shelter how much will I miss a pad?

I’m considering spending too much money on a lightweight pad and just carrying it, and I’m considering an inexpensive foam pad and leaving it in the first hikers box past the Smokies. I’m thinking there are other sections further on that require using the shelter also, but “miles to go before I sleep”. Another thought I’m having is just sleeping on the wood base. Not that it will help much, but I will have the hammock’s underquilt.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Hi! Hammocker,
One thing you might try is sending a sleeping pad to yourself and say you pick it up just before entering the Smokies, or if you will be having a “Bounce Box” put one in it. A Big Agnes “Air Core” will roll up small enough to put in a box. Another idea is to use your extra clothes, pack towel or down jacket for cushioning. With your under-quilt and extra clothing you should have enough padding.
Just a couple of ideas.
Good luck with your decision and your hike.

1 Like

My thru-hike was 182 days. The Great Smokey Mtn National Park was 3 nights to Newfound Gap then 2 nights to Davenport Gap. That’s 5 nights out of 182 where I could not put up a hammock. One one of those nights in GSMNP the shelter was full and I slept in my hammock. You can hang your hammock on the rest of the trail. There is a short place in the White’s where trees are hard to find. What I did was sleep on a black plastic garbage bag full of leaves. Many people snore, join the chorus. It’s not perfect but you just have to suck it up and take it along with all the other miserable situations you will encounter.

1 Like

Hey fellow hamnocker. First off I’d like to say you made a good choice by using a hammock over tent. Your underquilt will definitely keep you warm and using a sleeping pad in your hammock you’ll probably be sliding all over the place unless you seacure it with velcro. Comfort is definitely important to a good night sleep and a little bit of weight added from sleeping pad should be no problem. I figure it’s better to have and not need it than need and not have . I had slept in the shelters without a sleeping pad. Only twice I prefer stealth camping, and believe me I didn’t sleep.The floor hurt my ribs all night long. Won’t make that mistake again best wishes. BLUE

I also prefer hammock camping and love doing the AT through the Smokies. At age 61, I was VERY uncomfortable sleeping on a lightweight Thermarest-type CCF pad in the shelters and could not count on full shelters to justify putting up my hammock. My last trip to the Smokies, I carried redundant bottom insulation… both an underquilt for hanging on blue trails where tent and hammock camping is permitted, and a blowup pad for the shelters. I would definitely not count on stealth camping around shelters in the Smokies. I’ve often met rangers at shelters who monitor for compliance.