Hammocks advice

I through hiked in 2009 with my son LilWayne. I am about to retire and have heard good things about hammocks but no very little about them. We used a tarp tent on our through hike. I am 6’ 3" and 195 lbs. Sugesstions?

Hammocking in a unique sleeping style, you may wish to borrow a hammock or three to ensure that you will like resting in that way. There are plenty of light hammocks in the more traditional style that can be combined with a lightweight rain fly. However, there are also asymmetrical hammocks that allow you to sleep in a slightly more horizontal position (Hennessy makes several). These come with rainflies specific to that hammock shape.
I use hammocks frequently, but slept in a bivy for my 2012 AT thru. At the time I had not figured out the insulation thing. Hammocks can be very cold in the fall, winter and early spring – so hammockers will use something called an underquilt to keep them warm. Essentially this is a sleeping bag that attaches under your hammock to minimize the bridge effect. You can also buy insulated sleeping pads that are designed for hammocks (Klymit make one). I presently use a triple layer of mylar with bubble wrap in between each layer, which is an old form of house insulation.

Very helpful information. I have a friend who has a hammock and does losts of winter camping using an under and over quilt. Maybe I can borrow his to try it. Thanks so much fo rthe quick response. When I was preparing for my thru hike I used trailjournals.com which had loads of information on gear and when I asked quesitons I received multiple responses with lots of great suggestions.

Hopefully, Leif won’t get mad at me for posting another forum’s link! :grinning: There’s a great group of people over at hammockforums.net that can answer almost any hammock related question. I used many of the tips while making my own hammock and underquilt. There’s usually some sort of discussion on hammocking on the AT as well.

Also, if you can, try out different hammocks. There’s a multitude of setups (length, amount of sag, etc.) that can seem overwhelming. It all boils down to what works for you.

Awesome edvice! Thanks so much.

I’ve used hammocks over 10 years and have tried multiple brands and styles. At one time I owned 3 Hennessy models and each had its merits and shortcomings. I’m 6’0" and 195 pounds. I found I am most comfortable in a hammock that is at least 11 feet long, which gives me room to turn and get comfy. My latest config is a War Bonnet Blackbird XLC with Under-quilt for warmth. I got the Zpacks hammock tarp with doors. It is a great tarp and only weighs 9 oz.

I agree with the posts so far, borrow and try gear if possible, and share the gear you don’t use with others. Like any gear, get as much info as possible on the quality, cost and weight. I’m a big fan of UL gear to reduce the impact on my aging body!

I agree with bbikebbs. Hammockforums.net is a great resource. They have an outings tab that is broken out into regions. Your best bet before buying is to visit one of the hangs in your region. Most people are more than willing to let you check out their setup.