Heat Exhaustion/Dehydration

This past Sunday (May 20th) I started out on what I thought was going to be a two month backpacking trip doing the “Sheltowee Trace” and “Benton MacKaye Trail” back to back.
My hike began at 4:40 PM and I had 10 miles covered by 9:00 PM. Felt great. The next day everything looked good, I felt good, but didn’t have a lot of sleep the night before. Started out with what I thought was plenty of water.
I came to a gravel road and checking my map I saw I was going to be on it for around 10 miles, meaning I was going to be in full sun a good part of this section. With all the rain this area had been having I assumed there would be plenty of water, I learned the hard way this wasn’t the case.
I became dehydrated and was experiencing signs of heat exhaustion.
I was sweating profusely became somewhat delirious and my legs became quite weak.
Even after a shower, meal and lots and lots of water plus a motel stay, I knew I couldn’t continue, my legs would not function properly. I came home, and three to four days later ended up going to the Emergency Room and was diagnosis with Acute Torticollis which no doubt was brought on from the lack of water in my body. My legs are still somewhat weak, but getting stronger.
My point for this message, is don’t deprive your body of water under any circumstance. If you feel water is to heavy to carry stop at every stream, lake or spring, filter and drink until you can’t drink any more.

1 Like

Glad you did decide to get off when you did! Rest and drink! The trails will still be there when you are ready!

Thank Liz. Ya! the trail isn’t going anywhere, so perhaps I’ll get down there to complete it this Fall. I had several local folks that were offering support as far as resupply and shuttles where they were needed, so I’m sure they would still be available.
The Fall of the year would be a pretty time to do this trail.

That’s probably some of the best advice I’ve seen yet. Absolutely take advantage of every water source available rehydrate and refill hydration bladder.

Thanks Blue! I guess sometimes we have to learn the hard way. I’m feeling much better and getting pumped up for my Long Trail hike in August, lol.

Yes sir, everything i learned was the hard way.Only goodthing about that is, only takes once…Glad you made it out ok.

Continuing the discussion from Heat Exhaustion/Dehydration:

Gorpgobbler (Greg), I feel for you. I attempted a Flip-Flop thru in April—-became ill, exhaustion—-forced myself through that—eventually injured. And I felt I was in great shape! Currently doing PT and awaiting an MRI, but hope to get back on trail in July to head south from H Ferry to Springer to attempt completion of southern half of the AT. Thank you, sir, for sharing. Similarly, and stubbornly, I didn’t “listen” to my body—-and I paid for it! Best to your recovery!

I want to Thank each and everyone of you for the “Well Wishes” and very nice comments you made concerning my post. Sometimes it’s the “Hard Way” that we learn the “Best Lessons”.
I want to report that I’m feeling much better, I’m still drinking a lot of water and fruit juices, especially water with electrolytes and minerals in it.
I still have some stiffness in my neck, but I’m doing the exercises my doctor gave me to do. He also wants me to come back and report to the lab for some more blood tests.

So Thanks Again All of You!! Take Care and Keep In Touch.