Hiking Shoes/Boots

I recently purchased a pair of hiking boots (similar to hi-top sneakers), but the tread is very thin, almost as though I can feel the ground right through them… Is this a standard characteristic or are they just not a good boot?
Thanks!
2200forthe22

I’d say they weren’t very good boots if they are as thin as you say. Your feet need to be protected and taken care of, after all, they are carrying you and your pack weight. A thick sole “Trail Runner” shoe or if you prefer a boot style, you should have one with a good thick lugged sole. They will last you a lot longer and your feet and legs will appreciate them.

I agree with Gorp Gobbler. I wear the Merrill Moab boot that is mid high for my ankle protection and has a great tread on them. Some hikers prefer a trail runner sneaker style. I have tried a few on my practice hikes but found them only comfortable on a cleared smooth trail. That is not the AT! Good Luck in finding the shoe/boot that feels Great!

Hummingbird Ellie

Does not sound right. Who made these boots?

Boots are definitely important. I carry 10day supply of food good sturdy boot water proof plenty ankel support the USMC boot works well in all conditions. Bates USMC duroshocks ST HW.If lighter boot is required. Nike 8" SFB gen. 2 also good choise. Good luck on your hike.

Hiking Sandals during the Summertime really worked for me last year.

I wear Oboz boots, they are lightweight and have a thick lug sole. They require very little breaking in and they are waterproof.

Hiking Boot vs Backpacking Boot may be the problem. When I started putting my gear together, I did a lot of research on each piece of gear. When it came to boots, I soon found out that boots for backpacking are designed with a heavier sole design to compensate for your pack weight. With everyone’s feet being so different from others, it is hard to tell someone what boot will work best for them. I sent my first boots back when after wearing them for half an hour, I had sharp pain on the top of my foot. My next pair worked out good for me and I now have over 400 miles on them. They are Salomon Quest 4d 2 Gtx Backpacking Boot. They have a great lacing system that allow separate lace tension to the lower from the upper parts. They have real nice toe guards but the lace system keeps my toes from ever touching the tips of the boot. I do adjust my laces after the first mile or so each day. Also, when I do feel those sharp pointy rocks on the bottoms of my boots, I just put more weight on my hiking poles. My next pair shipped today they are Salomon Men’s Quest 4d 2 Gtx Backpacking Boot, the same boot with two small changes but the same light weight and no break-in required. These are the boots that will go to Maine with me.
If you can find a gear store, try on some of their backpacking boots and then look on-line to do some price comparison. Sometimes a gear store will match on-line prices. I love my boots and they look good too!