How to get back to my car

imported

Hey everyone! My boyfriend and I are going to go on our first backpacking excursion at the end of July. We plan to complete just a few segments of the Colorado trail (11-13), just to get a feel for it since it is our first trip. We have a question, how do we get back to our vehicle once we are done? His suggestion, get a taxi. My response, I doubt they have those in the place we’re going to end up. So, my question is, is there any shuttle service or place we can go to find a safe, ride so we don’t have to stand on the side of the highway with our thumbs in the air? Thank you!

Nichole

There is no formal network for arranging a shuttle. Still, some people are willing to assist CT users with shuttle services. Phone or email the CTF office for a list of people who have offered to shuttle Trail users along the CT, or post your need for a ride on www.trailforums.com. (which you have done) Post again with “Need help with a shuttle on the Colorado Trail.” Explain dates, distances and the section you will be hiking. This will help a shuttle driver determine if they can help you. Good luck.

Nichole, being a long time (AT) section hiker, I always found it more desirable to park my car at the end of my section hike and get a ride/shuttle to the start of my section hike. Reasons: You don’t wait around or are not late for the shuttle at the end of your section hike. You don’t have to worry about how bad you smell. When you are finished you get in your car and go.

The Colorado Trail site, http://www.coloradotrail.org/planning.html can be a big help in planning your trip. Be ready to spend money on the shuttle.

Canoeman