Ideas for new Hiking/Backpacking gear

Hi guys,
I am a Product Design student and I am doing a project on Hiking/Backpacking. I have not yet gone backpacking myself but after researching the topic, I have gotten very interested in the area and can’t wait to try it myself.
I would be grateful if anyone could share any ideas that they have for new products or improvements to old products. Just anything from the experience of being on the trail that would improve your journey?
Thanks

This may not be the type of product you are imagining but…one thing I would love to see is a practical dress like Anish wears (http://blog.gossamergear.com/brand-ambassador-gear-list-heather-anish-anderson) but with full coverage on the shoulders and upper arms, and with pockets. Sustainable Merino wool material (look at Icebreaker’s Cool-Lite products) - it would probably need some reinforcement where the backpack straps rub against the fabric. The goal would be comfort, breath-ability, quick drying, with some durability to survive a through-hike. Thanks for asking!

Trying to intelligently design backpack gear without having ever backpacked is like trying to be a first base coach without having played baseball. No offense intended. I salute and encourage your new interest. But the best thing you can do is get out there yourself. Make mistakes, see first hand what kind of shortcomings current gear might have. Then you’ll have some knowledge with which to judge your own ideas and others suggestions. And you’ll have some great times outdoors. Good luck!

1 Like

I think this is a bit unhelpful to the question posed. Obviously it would be ideal if the OP had backpacked before, but the professor has assigned a project with a deadline. The OP very likely doesn’t have the luxury to go backpacking several times beforing turning in the assignment.

Now to the original: Are you thinking more along the lines of a technical/engineering improvement or purely design?

Something occurred to me. Someone should design better gaiters which allow you to ford shallow streams reliably without having water run up into the gaiters and then your boots.

Perhaps my old pair is just worn out or was never the best, but I feel like some ingenuity here is in order.

I’d also suggest in whatever you decide, keep weight in mind. Reducing pack weights has been an obsession in the community for a number of years (Google ultra light gear). So ideally somehow incorporate into your final product that it will be lighter than average while still durable.

Hi,
Thanks for your reply unfortunately I won’t be able to make that kind of product as I am more skilled in the engineering area and won’t be able to design a clothes based product as its just something I won’t be able to do.
I have more been looking at the different types of stoves that backpackers use if you don’t mind answering what type of stove do you use and why? Would there be some changes you would like to see that would make your experience better?

Jacknoir you are totally right about not having backpacked is a huge disadvantage for me however I still need to do my project. If you don’t mind answering what type of cooking stove do you use when you are out backpacking? I know there are canister stoves, liquid fuel stoves, and other alternative fuel stoves. What types did you use? and if you changed to another type why? Also would you like to see any changes to the one you currently use to improve your experience?
Thanks

JGalt87, unfortunately, I can’t design the gaiters as my product needs to be more on the engineering/technical side. I am currently leaning more towards cooking stoves, trekking poles, navigation accessories like that.
From your use of cooking stoves which one do you prefer using and why? I have seen that sometimes some types of stoves get banned due to fires, are they generally avoided or do hikers still use them? Is there any improvement’s that you would like to see that would improve your experience? You mentioned whatever I make needs to be super light is there any accessories that you use on your trips need to be lighter or maybe do more than one job?

I use a DYI stove because it is easy and light: https://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-make-a-fancy-feast-alcohol-stove/

This is not allowed in some NPs and then I have a little tiny stove that folds up (PocketRocket) - http://www.cleverhiker.com/best-backpacking-stoves/. Biggest issue on this one is balancing the pot/cup on top without it falling over, esp. difficult if it is windy out.

Actually what would be really great is a lighter weight canister - maybe using a stronger and lighter material to hold the fuel - is that a project you can work on?

BlueMtns thank you so much for your feedback, that is a project I can work on, thank you for the information :smile:

Awesome - good luck!

Let’s us know how it turned out.

I use a rather outdated MSR kerosene stove with a refillable fuel canister. I’m not particularly fond of it as it is heavy and bulky relative to many modern stoves, especially those with the canister also serving as the base.

I think you may be asking the wrong questions. Right now it sort of sounds like you’re asking for ideas—we aren’t product designers. I would say ask for “biggest complaints” and then bounce potential solutions off of people