Jackets - Appalachian Trail

imported

What jacket do you prefer when the lows are going to be in the 20s to low 30s? I understand, of course, that this jacket is likely to go back into the pack later in the day.

Yorick

For low temps, I wear an Under Armour base layer and a Polartec mid layer. I add an ultralight hooded Mt Hardwear Ghost Whisperer down puffy. I top this off, as necessary, with an Arcteryx Beta AR hardshell. I find this combination to be pretty darned bombproof. This combo allows me to shed/add layers as necessary. Not inexpensive, however.

Push

No kidding, that’s about a $650 hiking outfit

Yorick

Do not forget about used clothing sold at such places as Good Will or Salvation Army. These stores can be hit and miss but offer tremendous finds. Wind gear, pants and shirts are readily available. While some might argue, including myself, that a high quality down bag and jacket are worth the investment, there are several options that might weigh a few ounces more, not compress as much when packing, but are suitable for enjoyment in the woods. For example, Campmor currently offers a 20 degree down sleeping bag at a reasonable price …on sale…130 dollars for a Kelty cosmos 21 (550 count down). While this bag will not compress as well it weighs in at 2lbs 9 oz which is about a half pound more than a 400 dollar bag. This is just an example not a gear suggestion (just took a quick peak on the website and listed the first item noticed). Regarding jackets in particular, look to Sierra Trading post for discounted gear. Spring time can be a good time for discounts on down products. To summarize, 800 count down is worth the money if you have it, but not necessary for enjoyment as the penalty for other options is not that great.

Stealthblew

If price is not a concern, then by all means pick up an 800 count down jacket as it will most likely become a favorite piece of gear. And if possible, get one that comes with a hood.

Stealthblew

This wont change the price tag, but if you would like the cost per mile to drop considerably, try walking a lot more than you had planned with the jacket.

Space Monkey

Or if you would like the price per day to drop, try walking slower. If you walk backwards, the price per mile will be negative and you will be making money. sorry…

angel apple

I am prepping for an AT thru-hike for 2018; I settled on an Arc’teryx Cerium LT (look for them now—expensive but there are sales!) With a good base layer (UA Cold gear and / or mid-weight fleece). I just did a 6.5 mile day hike yesterday with 25 mph nw winds, and temps down to -3 (windchill). I was TOASTY! It is an excellent puffy----and it will start the NOBO with me. After Damascus, I will switch out the puffy with either Arc-teryx Atom LT or Rab Xenon X synthetic. Again…take a morning and a pot of coffee and search out online sales (or a nice evening, fire, and a single barrel bourbon)…there is absolutely no reason to pay full price for quality gear.