JMT in May? - John Muir Trail

imported

Hello. I’ve been trying and failing to get a JMT permit out of Happy Isles for two weeks and am feeling a bit desperate. But I got to thinking that, with the drought conditions this year, May might be a reasonable time to start my hike. Did anyone hike all or part of the trail last May (or some other time early in the season)? I called the ranger office in Yosemite and they couldn’t really say how inadvisable it’d be to hike then, but suggested I try to find folks who did it last year.

Thanks!

Erin

I don’t know how advisable it would be to start in may but don’t give up on your original dates. You would have a good chance of getting a walk in permit or no show permit if you just show up on the day you want. Also be flexible of where you start. Any place you jump in will be better then going at a time that may be an awful struggle or not going at all. Being flexable is the key.

Big B

It all depends on what happens between now and the end of April. You will definitely need some snow skills for the passes.

Casey

Sonpra Pass Resupply

casey

Thanks, B and Casey. Based on your input (and my own reservations) I’m going to forget about going in May. My snow skills aren’t terrible but I’d prefer not to put them to use, ha.

I’m lucky in that I’m extremely flexible on dates – I can start my hike any time as long as I finish by end of September. So I’m just going to keep applying. The only reason I want to get this permit taken care of now (vs. going for a walk-in/no-show permit) is I have a few people who will be joining me for various stretches along the way. I need my solo permit before we can figure out the other dates, and not everyone is as flexible with their time as I am.

Erin