Journal Entries

imported

Does anyone (including the site administrator) have advice as to the best way to submit journal entries while hiking the trail? I plan to leave Springer Mtn. NOBO in March of 2017. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Larry Miller

Don’t know what device you may be planning to carry, but my iPhone allowed me to upload entries and photos almost every day. Some hikers just wait until they reach a hostel or motel with a computer and wifi, but with my phone I rarely had a problem. At times I would use the Notes app on the phone and type up my entry for the day while lying in my tent at night. Save it. And then at some time the following day when up on a ridge where I could get a better signal, then log in to TJ, copy and paste my saved entry, and upload it. No problems. But really, I was pleased just how often I had a good signal. I use AT&T. Most agree that Verizon works best here in the southern Appalachians. Hope this helps. Have a good hike.

Woody

Just thru-hiked this year. Verizon is hands down the best on the trail. Had enough service almost everyday to blog and upload a photo with my Galaxy 5 phone.I would be on trail journals while dozens of hikers with other carriers had no service.

Terodactyle

Some people will send a e-mail home with photos almost dailey and have your relatives post it to your TJ. Then when you arrive at a town with a library or a computer you can edit what they posted. It keeps them involved and interested in your hike but it does require a loved one who has time.

Francis