June 2013 - The Long Trail - Vermont

imported

Not looking for a hiking buddy… I walk too slow for most people, but I am seeing if anyone else is going to brave the black flies and mud in June. This is my first time thru-hiking the LT. Advice?!

JAQ

We hiked the AT last year and did not have any trouble with the black flies. We are started June 24 and hope to finish mid July. Ratman wore a doorag and the flies usually buzzed above his head but did not land on him. We arehoping that with all the snow the flies won’t be to bad. Good hiking and maybe we will c u on the trail.

honeymoon hikers

Black flies are starting to come out now in S. NH. I suspect VT is about the same. You can bring bug spray and a bug headnet. Campfires help keep them away at night. I have hiked the LT in June. Black flies and mosquitoes can be bad that time of year. But if you love being out there I wouldn’t let the bugs keep you away. Enjoy.

Early Bird

I have heard that Southern Vermont is the worst for black flies and poison ivy! I plan to wear hiking pants to protect my skin. I think I might bring a small bottle of Technu… has anyone ever used this product before?

JAQ

Unlike mosquitos, black flies breed in cold fast running streams. A high snow pack will mean more not less black flies. As the snow pack at elevation is still pretty deep right now I would expect a pretty bad year for the little bastards. But as Early Bird says if you love being out there… Oh, and it’s going to be muddy. Its always muddy. I do love hiking in Vermont though.

Big B

I’ll likely head out northbound in late June - because that’s when I have time. I’ll be hoping the black flies have calmed down in southern Vermont by the time I start. If things are bad, I may actually pack that bug net I never bring.

Mostly I hope for the best and, when bugs are bad, I do what I can - keeping the lower portion of zip off pants on as long as tolerable, sleeping in the hammock (with built in bug screen) instead of shelter if there are many mosquitos at night, and using bug spray as needed. I usually treat clothes with permethrin, more for ticks than for other bugs - but I think it discourages biting bugs from hanging on to clothes or biting through them. Also covering up whenever I stop helps a little.

pedxing

Have fun, Pedxing if you’re out there already! And there isn’t lots of poison ivy out there. I also spray my shoes and gaiters for ticks. The stuff I use last 2 weeks.

Early Bird