KT Tape's Usefulness

I don’t expect to hike over 2000 miles without knee and ankle discomfort.

I currently have a roll of Ace bandage in my first aid kit, held closed by little metal clips. I looked at a few KT Tape videos. Their marketing director should get a raise. I’m somewhat sold on the usefulness, not thrilled by the cost. Better than an old school ace bandage? The most reasonable review from an independent source stated that it works great, but must be applied properly. I’m okay with “practicing” with a less expensive alternative (masking tape, pretending that it stretches). 50% or 80% stretch, twist and tear, anatomy terms that I should know by now, etc. It all sounds so right. Should I or not, and just stick with the old ace bandage like I’ve been using since high school football.

Hi Two Last Names ! I too have been thinking about the KT Tape. It does look like a great product to take along on the hike. I have friends who have used the tape for various leg injuries and it helped them.

Putting my first aid kit together, I opted for the traditional Ace bandage. I have the self sticking roll that will not require clips that I probably would lose. Ha. Why I chose the bandage is that I want to have the option to put it on and off. I was told at trail days in 2014 by an Orthopedic doctor, that I have “floppy” ankles.

By wrapping my ankle with an ace bandage until my ankle is firmly held in my boot to prevent rolling my ankle, I should be able to hike without a problem. I don’t see doing that with tape. A sprained ankle would be a different situation. The tape might be better for that! So I will use the ace bandage to hopefully prevent needing the KT Tape. Hummingbird Ellie

1 Like

I don’t carry any of these items. If I require some sort of wrap or bandage I go to town and get it. I carry a few band-aids and tube diaper rash ointment and that’s about it. My medical plan for about 10 years now is; to go to town. If that fails, as sad as this sounds, is; to rely on the kindness of others.