Late Hike - Tahoe Rim Trail

imported

I was planning to do the TRT this year about mid October, anyone think this is to late in the year to go?

THe Hobo

Sounds like a wonderful time to do it, no mosquitos, cooler temps. Go for it. Last October 15ish or so there was a 5 ft dump of snow in Mammoth Lakes, opening the ski area for just one weekend. By Sunday there was only a few inches of snow below 9800 ft. Put some scratches on my skis that day!!! There are early season storms, but Just pay attention to the weather forecast. Out of the last five winter seasons living in Mammoth Lakes, this was the first BIG early season dump. Though the Tahoe Rim is at a lower elevation. If a storm does come. You have good bail out points every day along the way, even if your doing really low mileages. Your cell should work fine just about everywhere out there. So just have someone pay attention for you. You will love it, it will be beautiful. October is wonderful in the Sierra. Last Thanksgiving I hiked up to 12,000 in the Sierra, before steep ice turned me around. Have a joyous hike!

Guino

I did the TRT in mid October 2008 and it was beautiful the whole time. Perfect temps during the day, not too cold at night. Ditto everything else Guino said.

ducky