Late start - The Colorado Trail

imported

I was going for a July start for a CT thru-hike from Denver, but now must start on Aug 8. I’ll finish before end of Sep. What must I plan for that would not have been a concern had I been able to start in early July?

Push

Sept can be spectacular on The Colorado Trail. Just gotta be prepared for lower temps (your water bottle will freeze more nights), fleeting snowstorm(s) (usually just a few inches melting the next day), a little less creek water (some of the smallest creeks may be dry), and fewer people (can get lonelier). CT Sept thru-hikers (most of them) think it is fabulous.

On Track

Thanks, On Track. I appreciate the info and your enthusiasm!

Push

Sept is the best month of the year for hiking on the CT. The t-storms are waning, the days are cooler, and the leafs are changing. Fewer people and more deer, elk & moose. Ron :slight_smile:

San Juan Ron

Thanks, Ron. Sounds like I will enjoy Sept on the CT and can expect no major problems. And I can bring my Tarptent Scarp 1 3-4 season tent instead of a solid 4-season shelter.

Push

I hiked the late September> early October timeframe on the CT and the aspens’ colors were incredible. Water was a bit of a chore though. Aside from major streams and river crossings, I was not finding water as much as I was used to on the east coast trails like the AT. There are so many great camping spots too on the CT but water is not necessarily in proximity to them.

John

I couldn’t disagree more. It may not be like the AT, but water is generally abundant on the CT. I have hiked it multiple times in different months and there are really only two segments (segments 2 and 27) where I have ever carried more than 2 liters because of a dry camp, (on those two segments), and for most of the trail it is no problem camelling up at water sources and carrying only one liter.

Try hiking the AZT or the southern CDT. Those trails are dry. Not the CT.

Bearcreek