Long Trail - Fall Hiking Partner

imported

I’m looking to hike the Long Trail beginning in mid-September. No preference of NOBO or SOBO. I’m not adverse to hiking alone but my husband has concerns so I am hoping to at least find someone to start with which could hopefully ease his mind a little! Is anyone else planning to make an attempt in the middle of September?

Sarah

Hello Sarah,

I’ll be hiking NOBO on the LT from Williamstown, MA, starting Sept 5th. That may be a little early for you, but if you’re interested, feel free to email me. I’m flying up from Florida on Sept 4th. I understand your husband’s concerns, but I think you would be fine solo too. Best of luck on your hiking plans. If you go SOBO, we may meet somewhere along the trail too.

Mike in PC Beach, FL

Florida Mike

Hi Sarah -
I solo hiked the LT in 2005 and felt completely safe the entire time. Obviously there are no guarantees, but I never had any issues. I did my hike in the summer and there were other thru-hikers in every shelter I stayed in. May not be as crowded in the fall, but you’re likely to meet others while you’re out there.
I saw lots of other hikers making phone calls home from many of the shelters & peaks on their cells - so that might be a way of letting your husband know that you are ok and safe. There are also plenty of places where it would be pretty easy for him to join you for a day hike or overnight if you live close enough.

Tumblina

Hi Sarah – I’m section hiking the Trail, hoping to finish mid-October. Not sure how it would work with your schedule, but I’m hoping to do several 2 to 5 day trips in September. Feel free to e-mail me! (jot925(at)aol.com)

Six Feetr

Thanks for the messages everyone! I fortunately have found someone to partner up with. Hopefully I’ll see a few of you out there!

Sarah

Two College grads Ryan and Seth have successfully completed theappalachian trail after a continuous 265 days effort.This was an experience of a life time.

Carrie Starling