Long Trail Guide

imported

Does the “Long Trail Guide” have more water sources noted then the “End to Ender”?

Bayou

No, it really doesn’t. I went on-line to the GMC’s web site where I found the details on water sources near shelters. I did not see anything in the guide like thru-hikers hand book for the AT.

Pilot

The printed GMC Long Trail Guide does have some more info about LT water sources than the End-to-Ender. It does have all of the shelter water sources, as noted by Pilot, but also some, not all, other sources. Water is generally not a problem on the LT. There are quite a few streams and springs along the way and the shelters are around 7 - 10 miles apart. The northern quarter from south of Jay Peak to the Canadian border does have fewer reliable water sources than the rest of the trail, but a little planning can get you through.

Digit

As Digit suggested, there’s generally plenty of water on the LT. In addition to needing to be a little more careful managing your water north of Route 15 (ie, the final 40-ish miles), Bolton Mountain also tends to be a little dry (ie, ~5-6 miles without water). Outside of those two areas, you’ll normally find good water every couple of miles. I never carried more than a liter on my hikes (but two liters would have been better on Bolton Mountain).

Loup

I only went from Canada (aka. Trail’s End) to the Burlington-Montpellier highway; it rained at least every other day in the 2nd half of august, including 2 24+ hour rains, one of which was a HURRICANE! (I was in Burlington for the 'cane enjoying the coop & live music at the “Radio Bean”, a coffee bar & bar-bar. Usually, in the North, the water as you go up from the highway is most plentiful
& on the tops of mountains & ridges becomes mud puddles & boot-sucking bogs. Sometimes it’s a good idea to camel up if you have a good stream a short bit before the shelter. All the water I saw required pills or filtering!

inchworm plumber