Looking for hiking friends

imported

I’m planning on doing the AZT in March and April, 2012. I’m looking for another person or two that wants to do the trail at the same time. At first I wanted to do it solo, but I’m a beginner to long trail walks, so now I’m thinking it might be wiser and more fun to have some company!

I’m taking a break from Grad school to do the hike. I’m a native to Arizona and I just love our state and want to get to know it better.

I’m going to be at the event at the Paradise Valley REI on the 29th of November. It might be a good chance to meet anyone who is interested in partnering up on a thru hike.

Emma Leigh

Finding a hiking partner online is a difficult proposition. 1) People are dynamic by nature and this trait is evident on the trail. How far one travels in a day, between rest stops, or maybe most importantly comfortably, can vary on a daily basis for the individual. Push much harder and the walking can become burdensome, losing its luster in the process and if rest is not sought… eventually resulting in an injury. The level of fitness between strangers can be remarkable. When hiking in a group someone is always either rushing or waiting for others to resume walking. 2) This leads into hiking style. How much weight is in the packs? A lightweight hiker with 15 pounds on their back will hike farther in a day than someone with 30-40 pounds of the neat looking camping items sold at most outfitters. 3) Personality variations between folks should also be considered. Some may argue that aspects of one’s persona are influenced by environmental and often subsequent social factors. While thousands of miles of hiking may lead to a spiritual revelation or awareness among long distance walkers that we are all one, this awakening one might not be expected to occur the first few weeks out. 4) Many hiking unions founded online fall apart before the hike even starts with one party finding some other adventure more appealing. But in the remarkable event a hiking partner is found online before the hike with similar pack weights, agendas and fitness levels, there will always be a possibility this person will not complete the hike. Are you prepared to then hike alone?
If hiking solo is troublesome, consider seeking out companionship though the University’s local hiking clubs. Or maybe narrow your search to a more local area so that you might have a chance to meet your potential hiking partner in advance of the trailhead. Planning a hike is a big part of the fun. Perceptions and reality are fun to compare in hindsight.

Have a great time on the trail.

:cheers

stealthblew

Sorry if the above post was a bit dismal regarding online hiking partners. However, there is a good chance you might meet a potential hiking partner on the trail itself. The first week out by starting with low mileage days with long rest stops and leisurely meal breaks during peak season you might expect someone to come by. :slight_smile:

stealthblew

Stealthblew-
That was an excellent post!
Thanks,
pops c. AZT Dreamer - Class of 2013

The Canyon awaits you!

pops c.

Well it’s a bit disappointing to get this feedback. But you have some good points, which I hadn’t considered. Thanks!

Emma Leigh

Don’t think of it as too disappointing. Sometimes you meet the best hiking partners when you’re out on the trail and there is little to no expectation that you’ll be “partners.” It just happens that way. I’ve found this to be the most rewarding type of hiking partner as there is no stress. I think the best you can do is just try and touch base with people who might be departing for a hike around the same time as you…you might be able to assist one another with the logistics of getting to the trail etc. It’s probably a bit different hiking the AZT as opposed to the AT where finding hiking partners and buddies is a given should you want it. The above post was a bit “dismal” but uber accurate. You should be prepared to go it alone and be comfortable with that or maybe not elect to do a thru hike at all. If you do it, you’ll be rewarded in ways you probably can’t think of now.
Best of luck.

Parm

I second the comment that finding a partner on the trail is a long shot. I know of an instance where it happened and worked out well, but on my hike I only saw 3-4 other hikers and I don’t think any of them were going the distance at the time. You might post on hikearizona.com and other hiker sites. Another tactic is to find someone who will do the first several days with you and then decide if you want to go solo. I did my trip solo and found it quite enjoyable.

Shawn