LT miles compared to AT miles?

imported

Hey everyone. I was wondering how the LT compares difficulty wise to the AT. I’m planning to hike the LT end of August/early September and need to book my plane ticket, but I have no idea what my mileage will be. I’m trying to finish just in time for a wedding in Vermont, which is why I’m hoping to plan this thing just right. So anyhoo, if any of you have hiked both, is the terrain pretty similar? The northern part of the LT is super gnarly right? - How much does that slow you down miles-wise?

And does anyone know of the best way to get to the Southern trailhead from Burlington and from the Northern end back to Burlington? Thanks so much,

As always, a clueless hiker,

-Buddha

Buddha

Peanut hiked the LT in 07 and AT in 08.

Check out her TJ.

Mac

The Green MT Club has an “end to ender” book which
would give you some good info; also, Jan Leitschuh
wrote a good book on the LT titled “The Ordinary
Adventures” which I liked.

Dman

hey Buddha, I did them both and I would say the N end of LT is at least as hard as the Whites. I went N to S though and wasn’t in hiker shape in the beginning. it was gorgeous though … we did it in Oct so had the trail pretty much to ourselves. Girlfriend, with all the hiking you have done I don’t think you will have a problem …:slight_smile:

yappy

Jan’s book is “the ordinary adventurer”

frogcaller

Thanks peeps! Yappy - did you like going Southbound? Is the only downside starting with the difficult part? I might have a ride to Burlington from the Southern end if I finish there, which is why I ask and stuff…

Buddha

I think that much of the northern half (maybe Lincoln Gap to Canada) of the LT is comparable to the Mahoosuc’s in ME. Both are fairly rugged when they are dry & become considerably more difficult when they’re wet…

Both are also amazingly wild sections of trail for the East Coast.

Happy Trails!

freebird

yeah, sobo was sweet … mostly cuz it was so quiet. We hardly really saw anyone out. I would agree with Freebird… it is like the M’s … and when wet can be slow going. I did it in 01 so don’t remember it all that well… lots of ponds, cool empty shelters and the COLORS… Man, terrific ! I am hoping to go again next Fall. We did the Azt last Spring Buddha… that is a very cool trail too…:slight_smile:

yappy

My sweetie says he hiked the LT in two weeks, so you’d probably be fine. I, on the other hand will have to plan three weeks (at least). Starting next Sunday! : ) It will probably kill me, I’ll keep you posted.

Apple Pie

When are you planning on starting and where would you fly into? Just thinking… when Greenleaf comes to pick me up when I’m done might be when you’d be planning on starting. He’d be driving in from the Lowell area in MA which is 30 min. south of Manchester NH. Then again he might cave and decide to join me.

Apple Pie

I’ve end-to-ended the LT and sectioned some of the AT in VA, CT, NY, NH, and VT. I agree with the others here that the northern 150 miles of the LT is every bit as rugged as the Whites, though it does have fewer 4K+ peaks. Except for some of the big mountains, Jay, Mansfield, Abraham, Camel’s Hump, (big for Vermont anyway) there are a lot fewer people in that northern 150 than the AT/LT 100 miles in the south.

Depending what kind of shape you’re in and how much you’re planning to get off of the trail, 14 days, imho, is really flying, 21 days is do-able, and 28 days is a nice pace that allows reasonable days and time to stop a bit from time to time. Also remember come late August and into September, you will lose quite a bit of daylight from both ends of the day.

See you on the trail…

digit

Hey girl,
I always tell people the LT is like the Mahoosuc Range, over and over and over again. I wouldn’t plan less than 3 weeks for it, it’s a tough trail, way harder than the AT on a day to day basis. 15 miles on the LT is a good day.

Transportation is tough as well, most have a very difficult time trying to get to or from the northern termini, I believe the bus from Newport no longer runs. We drove to the north, parked a car and were able to score a shuttle back to it.

Bluebearee

hey, lucky you… wish I were hiking the lt again. Rats ! i saw you check out the Gotta walks’ ICT… that sounds like a great hike… hmmmm. Have a terrific walk.

yappy

I did it in 20 days, two years after my AT thru-hike. Yes, it was tough, as tough as some of the tougher parts of the AT. Muddy in the south, drier and more remote and more difficult to stealth in the north. Awesome trail.

“John Galt”

Thanks for all the advice yo! Apple Pie - what’s up girl! I still have no idea when to start, but I’m trying to end on August 3rd to get to the wedding. I’ll fly into and out of Burlington and am thinking of going Southbound right now. You too?

Bluebearee - seriously aren’t you sick of helping me already? I’m kind of thinking it might take me 18-ish days? I love climbs and am pretty fast, especially without Zack to slow me down, ha! I averaged around 20 miles a day in the Mahoosucs, so does it sound reasonable to plan on doing 15 miles a day on the northern half of the LT, 20 for the southern half? So with a couple of extra days thrown in there … that’s how I came up with 18. Beats the crap out of me at this point. Maybe I should just plan on 3 weeks so I can make friends and have some quality sitting-on-sidewalks-in-town-eating-pints-of-Ben-and-Jerry’s time…

Buddha

Oops. I meant I have to finish by Sept 3rd. So I’m maybe starting the weekend of Aug. 14? Holy crap. I should probably get that plane ticket. I’m definitely going southbound now so I’ll look for you Apple Pie!

Buddha

I might have you beat on the not planning thing here.:wink:
I’m not packed yet and only know the name of my first town stop and I’m leaving tomorrow morning.
See ya on the trail!

Apple Pie